• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Young tegu not eating

Rodd

Hello!

So I have a 2 1/2 month old black and white argentine tegu that is refusing to eat. I always offer him a variety of foods such as eggs, grapes, small amounts of banana, crickets and turkey and he will walk right past it. If I attempt to put it near him with tongs, he will just lick it and move on. The last time I WATCHED him eat/fed him myself was about 5 days ago. He could be eating when I’m not paying attention but from what it seems, it looks as if the food is untouched.

Here is some background info on the enclosure itself. The enclosure has a hot and a cool end with hides on both sides. 90 degrees ambient on the hot side with the rock being 120-130 degrees average. The cool end is around 74. These temps fluctuate based on the room temperature but stay relatively the same. For the substrate, i use mulch that is around 3 inches deep (small amounts of fine mulch but mostly larger chips). He does come out to bask here and there but he remains in his hides most of the time. He has peed and pooped. He doesn’t seem to have lost any weight at all and still looks healthy. When should I begin to worry and what other signs should I be vigilant for? I know it’s not the time of year for brumation.

rantology

When was the last time you saw a fresh poop? the crickets and turkey should surely be enticing for the little guy- they really like their protein when young. When did you receive the animal? they can lose appetite and can largely want to hide for the first week or two after you get them- not totally out of the norm. I would leave some food in a dish for them. Take a photo if you need to, to see if they are eating when you arent looking.

Rodd

this began a few days after I changed out the mulch. Elevation in enclosure was raised due to the mulch being deeper this time.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
sounds like it could just be a bit of nervousness and settling in with the new scents etc..... I'm sure given a bit of patience he'll be fine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602