• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Young tegu burrows super early

Nikki Gregory

So my guy is about 7-8 months and it’s summer time. And he used to burrow about 7-7:30 every single night but the last week or 2 he has been burrowing as early as 3:30-4:00 pm which means he isn’t eating because I feed him around 5 every day. I forced him out of his burrow last night because he didn’t eat 2 nights before. I’m a little concerned:( any ideas why he’s doing this?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hey Nikki - They def have their own drum they march to - I had to pull my (adult) male out today to feed him and he mostly wasn't interested. Currently he will go 4 or even 5 days without coming out of his hide. I wouldn't worry too much, but watch that he's getting his water, and try to adjust or keep pulling him out. He'll give up on his end once he gets hungry enough, and they def respond to routine.

Nikki Gregory

I’ve tried my hardest to keep a routine with him. And I have on my end but he had other plans lol. The first time he went almost 3 days without eating and I didn’t feel good about it so I chanced digging him you and he was so mad (Tail whipping and everything. yikes) but quickly got over it lol and I have had to dig him out 2 times since and he doesn’t get as mad as the first time then just eats and hangs out with me just as any other day

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
It can be trying when they have other ideas! lol That's when you really do have to win out. It's important that they don't get they're own way, when it's not healthy. Just like a puppy or a child. Once they're adults, they seem to just roll their eyes (like Skully did today when I pulled him out of his cherished hide). I do use food to coax him out too - sometimes that works. I don't give it to him, I make him come out to get it. But sometimes he just realizes the game, and backs back into the hide!! Determined little devils.

Nikki Gregory

It can be trying when they have other ideas! lol That's when you really do have to win out. It's important that they don't get they're own way, when it's not healthy. Just like a puppy or a child. Once they're adults, they seem to just roll their eyes (like Skully did today when I pulled him out of his cherished hide). I do use food to coax him out too - sometimes that works. I don't give it to him, I make him come out to get it. But sometimes he just realizes the game, and backs back into the hide!! Determined little devils.
Yea I don’t usually worry Until about the third day lol is that bad? Aren’t little Guys supposed to Eat daily? But I definitely think he knows I only unbury him to eat after so many days so that’s why he didn’t throw such a fit anymore lol or we just have a decent relationship now :)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Is he still getting used to you? I can't remember when you got him but some of them are very stubborn. My male was hard-core stubborn and hated me for about a year before he gave in. Not to suggest that's happening, but it might be! They are very strong willed, like "they'll show you!" Not kidding - he fought me every step, to the point I was convinced he wouldn't ever be that sweet Gu that others talk about. But after the 10 or so months, he caved. So much is about your instincts too. Stay connected to his health - like how his eyes look, how is poop looks, his tongue should be pink, (not grey) and if he's feisty, that's not really bad. He's just asserting his Tegu will, which really is good in terms of his health. When my male had some constipation probs - he was lethargic and not mean and unruly. I knew something was wrong!

Nikki Gregory

Is he still getting used to you? I can't remember when you got him but some of them are very stubborn. My male was hard-core stubborn and hated me for about a year before he gave in. Not to suggest that's happening, but it might be! They are very strong willed, like "they'll show you!" Not kidding - he fought me every step, to the point I was convinced he wouldn't ever be that sweet Gu that others talk about. But after the 10 or so months, he caved. So much is about your instincts too. Stay connected to his health - like how his eyes look, how is poop looks, his tongue should be pink, (not grey) and if he's feisty, that's not really bad. He's just asserting his Tegu will, which really is good in terms of his health. When my male had some constipation probs - he was lethargic and not mean and unruly. I knew something was wrong!
I Got him back in March but honestly think him and I have a pretty good bond Already :) He comes right to me when I open his enclose ( also think we are going great considering he has an open to enclosure and he still walks to me when I open it) And the early burrowing and missing meals is within like the last month or so.

Blakkdragon

I had the same issue with my Tegu when I got him. Really annoyed me. I would get home after work around 3:30 and he was already sleeping under the dirt.

I think you should just pull him out from under the dirt (very nicely so he doesnt hate you) feed and then immediately let him go back to hiding. When theyre that young they dont really need to skip being fed, but a day or two wont hurt them. Reptiles have super slow metabolisms and he probably has a bit of fat to burn through.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam