• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wound

Lizaha13

If any one can please help with any suggestions
My tegu has not had a proper shed in about a year but her hand had a Huge craft that when street through all her fingers now only one has not healed and it looks like it's gonna fall off

Attachments

• 20190622_090736.jpg
    20190622_090736.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87

Zyn

Umm I think her toes are dying and her nails need trimmed badly. Get her fish oil and a humid hide and a few hour warm soak ASAP !!! It literally looks like rotting flesh under her shed

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
Oh my god: Take her to the vet.

If her flesh is literally rotting, she could have sepsis which can spread into her organs and kill her.

This should not have been allowed to get this bad!

Lizaha13

Umm I think her toes are dying and her nails need trimmed badly. Get her fish oil and a humid hide and a few hour warm soak ASAP !!! It literally looks like rotting flesh under her shed
Thank u mostly it about to fall . Every other day soaks
What kind of fish oil

Lizaha13

Oh my god: Take her to the vet.

If her flesh is literally rotting, she could have sepsis which can spread into her organs and kill her.

This should not have been allowed to get this bad!
I have taken her to the vet for her tail they dont deal with tegu. Manly deal with other Reptiles

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This matter appeared. riefly on another thread. I immediately responded echoing Ivyna. This has been a poorly cared for animal. It belongs at a qualified vet's office ASAP, before spsis ends the matter.

Lizaha13

If I didnot care for my animal I would of not ask for helping opinion
For those helpful tips thank u guys
And for all u wonderful people that like to give ur negative opinions
Just keep them to ur self

Tizzay89

Wow if someone is asking for help not put down or Criticism. But hey I cuz

I dunno about the others but I personally view my tegu as a family member. I have a 7yr son who would have seen a doctor for a cut of that degree. So I would also take my tegu lol. After zooming in on that pic I have no idea why your tegu isnt at a vet atm. It looks like it almost cut its finger off and now is just there. You can clearly see dark discoloration on the digit there is what looks to be carpet fibers near or in it. I mean most reptile injuries automatically means they go into an encloser with news paper or similar type to prevent the wound from getting debris in it.. even if you didnt wanna go to the vet. It doesnt seem you even took measures at home to try.

Lizaha13

I dunno about the others but I personally view my tegu as a family member. I have a 7yr son who would have seen a doctor for a cut of that degree. So I would also take my tegu lol. After zooming in on that pic I have no idea why your tegu isnt at a vet atm. It looks like it almost cut its finger off and now is just there. You can clearly see dark discoloration on the digit there is what looks to be carpet fibers near or in it. I mean most reptile injuries automatically means they go into an encloser with news paper or similar type to prevent the wound from getting debris in it.. even if you didnt wanna go to the vet. It doesnt seem you even took measures at home to try.
You are of funny person.
I'm in the medical field. Have 3 teen age boys, as all our pet are our family was well . Wonderful u see the carpet fibers it cut we let our pets out
But I'm sorry mr. Vet patro

TechnoCheese

What’s the humidity in your enclosure? I’m relatively new here, but I would imagine that low humidity could definitely be a factor in the bad sheds.
+1 to getting another vet ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
Hoo boy. Eat some humble pie and admit to your mistakes because a living creature's health and perhaps even life is at risk here.

Where do you live? You can search for exotic vets here https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

I find it hard to believe a vet would see other reptiles but specifically not tegus. For them to turn you away when your pet is so badly hurt is ridiculous.

Tizzay89

You are of funny person.
I'm in the medical field. Have 3 teen age boys, as all our pet are our family was well . Wonderful u see the carpet fibers it cut we let our pets out
But I'm sorry mr. Vet patro

I'm not here to be negative or argue. My first post was a true statement of a mistake was made and it is bad it was with an animal. What's done is done though. When I was a young boy I had this red ear slider that had a cut on its front foot. It being a 20 dollar first time pet made it not worth taking to the vet I guess. As I recall my turtle died soon after. What me and the others have said is there is a possibility that more than likely your tegu will get very sick from this wound. The likely hood of home care treatment fixing it is very slim to none as in the pic you can see rotting tissue.

I am glad you let your tegu run around the house. They enjoy exploring. But my statement is that the wound besides not being taken care of by a vet has also not been kept clean. Which is why I said most reptile injuries result in a substrate less encloser.

If you truly cant see a vet then ok

I'm not gonna be the one to post what you probs have to do though. Just gonna say 1 of those digits doesnt look like its alive anymore and gonna take to long to fall off on it's own.

Most cities have a rescue center for reptiles. I live in Alaska and we have 3. I'm sure you can find 1 and most tend to have some sort of vet experience or know of some place you can take your reptile.

Best of luck

Mamasaurus

I would recommend an emergency vet visit. There are exotic vets who will see reptiles. Once they can say whether there's infection or disease then I'm sure they and we can offer comfort measures during treatment. I can't offer advice when I don't know what's wrong. Something helpful for one issue can be contraindicated in another. I'm in the veterinary field myself. I hope he gets treated and feels better asap.

James Smith

I took BOGA to the city park and beach earlier in the week and someone came up asked, "Is it hard to care for them?" I replied, "They can be needy, but not as much as there environment or enclosure. We as Tegu owner should not forget that the environment which our Tegu lives, is as important as taking care of the Tegu. I might add; the care of the environment is the care of the Tegu.

The picture posted here is the example of failing at the care of both, environmental and Tegu. When I decided to have a Tegu, I made sure there was a reputable Veterinarian in my area that treated Tegus. To own a Tegu your vision has to be wider than just wanting to own a Tegu. I am not being negative but I will speak truth, because that is how we learn too be better and be better at what we strive to be passionate about...

I have said many times before, it take more than love to care for a Tegu. Love should be the driving force to do better and learn more ,not the only catalyst to own a Tegu.

Use Google and find a Veterinarian in your area FAST. If you have to drive more than hour to get there do it anyway.

Last edited:

bocacash

5 Year Member
Whatever has happened to your Tegu friend, it has progressed very far...for whatever reason. You DO need to get to a reptile vet...soon ! Your vet will diagnose and prescribe treatment...it WILL cost $$$. The result may possibly be...amputation of the infected finger/foot/limb in order to save the Tegu. I have seen/known several amputee lizards that do quite well in captivity. Good Luck...but, do something !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam