• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worried about Tegu's health

EmilzHerp

Hi,

I have a 22 inch female blue tegu who I have had since May. I got her from Ben Siegel Reptiles on Facebook. She's been very healthy since I got her, but she seems to be declining. She still eats voraciously, taking down boiled eggs, kiwi, grapes, blueberries, ground turkey meat, feeder bugs, and the occasional mouse. I've noticed that in the recent weeks she seems to be both losing weight and losing muscle. I could be completely wrong. Is it possible she is just slowing down for brumation, or could something be wrong with her health? The first picture is one from August, and the second is from last week. Today I am going out to buy some mice, and I'm hoping to fatten her up. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Emilio

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4133.JPG
    IMG_4133.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 163

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi,

I have a 22 inch female blue tegu who I have had since May. I got her from Ben Siegel Reptiles on Facebook. She's been very healthy since I got her, but she seems to be declining. She still eats voraciously, taking down boiled eggs, kiwi, grapes, blueberries, ground turkey meat, feeder bugs, and the occasional mouse. I've noticed that in the recent weeks she seems to be both losing weight and losing muscle. I could be completely wrong. Is it possible she is just slowing down for brumation, or could something be wrong with her health? The first picture is one from August, and the second is from last week. Today I am going out to buy some mice, and I'm hoping to fatten her up. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Emilio
Take her to a qualified vet that deals in exotics ASAP. She should not eat voraciously AND lose weight. Brumating lizards go into winter fat and ever less interested in food.

EmilzHerp

Take her to a qualified vet that deals in exotics ASAP. She should not eat voraciously AND lose weight. Brumating lizards go into winter fat and ever less interested in food.
Do you think that the pictures show a dangerous difference? I think voraciously was the wrong word, more like she has eaten well with consistency, although she seems to be eating less than before. Could she just be lacking something in diet?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you think that the pictures show a dangerous difference? I think voraciously was the wrong word, more like she has eaten well with consistency, although she seems to be eating less than before. Could she just be lacking something in diet?
Eating less than before is fine if she is beginning a winter slowdown, which is typical. They will also lose some weight over the months. You have to decide if she has lost a significant amount of weight over the past six months as this is the very time she should be growing like a weed.

EmilzHerp

She's definitely grown, that's for sure. When I take her out, she is still active. She will climb everywhere. She doesn't have any bones visible through skin, and I know she's hydrated. What should the meat:fruit ratio be for meals? I fear I've been giving her too much fruit and egg, and not enough meat.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She's definitely grown, that's for sure. When I take her out, she is still active. She will climb everywhere. She doesn't have any bones visible through skin, and I know she's hydrated. What should the meat:fruit ratio be for meals? I fear I've been giving her too much fruit and egg, and not enough meat.
She needs a lot of whole prey items, such as frozen/ thawed mice. She needs balanced animal protein diet, heavily dusted with calcium powder. Like it was snowing.

EmilzHerp

She needs a lot of whole prey items, such as frozen/ thawed mice. She needs balanced animal protein diet, heavily dusted with calcium powder. Like it was snowing.
So today would a good meal be 2 fuzzies doused in reptivite, with egg and kiwi on the side?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So today would a good meal be 2 fuzzies doused in reptivite, with egg and kiwi on the side?
Personally, I'd offer it 4-5 fuzzies and some kiwi. Egg not necessary as a staple. She should eat her fill so that she is growing.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe it's just me, but that tegu looks real thin. Something could be seriously wrong. You should take her to the vet
That was my concern as well. Her call but CERTAINLY wouldn't hurt to take to vet. Maybe a life saver if parasites kicking in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam