• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Worried about my new Tegu

JaimeLynn

My Tegu was shipped from Florida on Monday and I got him here in Oregon on Wednesday. He's about a year old, older than I initially wanted. I say he but I do not know the sex. We have not bothered him because we're worried about stressing him out except for one time to show him the basking light and food. We left the room to try to keep his stress low. He went right back to his hide and burrowed. It's now Sunday and he has not had anything to eat and I'm pretty sure nothing to drink. I've been doing my best to leave him alone but I'm really worried. Any suggestions?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. Typical. Leave him alone physically.

Offer food and talk when you're sitting nearby.

Make sure enclosure size and envirinmental conditions are acceptable.

JaimeLynn

Welcome. Typical. Leave him alone physically.

Offer food and talk when you're sitting nearby.

Make sure enclosure size and envirinmental conditions are acceptable.

Thank you for responding. I had success not long after posting. We put a curtain on one side of the tank then left the area. He came out, ate some ground Turkey and grapes then dug under the stones by his basking area and hung out for a while.
Now he's back on the cool side burrowed by his hide. He's in a 125 gal tank for now, temp and humidity are good.
I expected him to hide from us, the no eating and drinking has been worrying me.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you for responding. I had success not long after posting. We put a curtain on one side of the tank then left the area. He came out, ate some ground Turkey and grapes then dug under the stones by his basking area and hung out for a while.
Now he's back on the cool side burrowed by his hide. He's in a 125 gal tank for now, temp and humidity are good.
I expected him to hide from us, the no eating and drinking has been worrying me.
Great. They're more nervous in a move than most of us think.

Zyn

Are you sure he’s a year? Post some pictures 125 seems a bit small for a year old tegu. Remember it needs to have most of its space on the floor. And tanks space is mostly vertical.

JaimeLynn

View attachment 12911 View attachment 12912 View attachment 12913 View attachment 12911 View attachment 12912 View attachment 12913
Are you sure he’s a year? Post some pictures 125 seems a bit small for a year old tegu. Remember it needs to have most of its space on the floor. And tanks space is mostly vertical.

I'm not sure he/she is a year old. That's what Rodney from tegusonly said. Steggie is what we named her/him. The tank is 6 ft long and there's nothing in there but the substrate, 2 hides and a basking spot along with a tub of water big enough for him/her to sit in if wanted. I do not have a good pic of him yet but I'll upload the one I was sent. Maybe you can help me figure out how old he/she is.

JaimeLynn

Screenshot_20180727-090932_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20180727-090914_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180727-090953_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180727-090953_Gallery.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 18

Zyn

Nice another beautiful wild caught from Rodney. It’s hard to judge age on the wild caughts since you don’t know much about their life style before being caught. Looks about right though at 9 months to a year.

JaimeLynn

Nice another beautiful wild caught from Rodney. It’s hard to judge age on the wild caughts since you don’t know much about their life style before being caught. Looks about right though at 9 months to a year.

Thanks:) We were all ready to buy a baby tegu then came across tegusonly and instantly decided that was the way we wanted to go. I'm more nervous then I originally was because all the research we had done was in preparation of a baby cb. The tank his not Steggie's forever home but it is plenty big for now. I took a screen shot of the video we recorded to give you a better idea although it's not very clear. He/she is doing better now. Comes out at least once a day that I get to observe. I put food out and we stay out of the room... I try to sneak peeks lol. Steggie has been clearing or almost clearing his/her whole plate. We have not tried to handle him/her, we don't want to cause anymore stress. Screenshot_20180727-094423_Video Player.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam