• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wild caught fish? and other Dietary Discussion

Retnoo

Hello everyone. I've had my tegu for a little over a month now. he's a sub-adult, about 20 inches long including tail. He's very fun!
I'm been primarily feeding him Egg (hardboiled with shell), Bananas, Discoid roaches, nightcrawlers, hornworms, and superworms.
I've been looking to expand his diet, especially since feeding him so many insects is getting expensive. He doesn't seem to take any vegetable I offer him. collard greens, alfalfa, green peppers, etc. He also doesn't like apple, strawberry, or watermelon that much. Just Bananas.

I've been looking into meat and fish. I hear people recommend ground turkey/chicken. Should I give him ground chicken raw? Or cook it first in some way? Worried about how safe raw meat from the grocery store is. I've also been looking into fish. My research shows me that I have to look out for and avoid fish with thiaminase.
My dad is a fisherman, and loves to go out on the river and catch things like mullet and ladyfish. I was wondering if it would be safe to feed my tegu wildcaught fish. I'm a bit worried about parasites, but perhaps freezing the fish and thawing them later would get rid of anything harmful?
TLDR, what diets do you guys feed your tegus? How do you serve ground chicken? and are wildcaught mullet safe to feed my tegu?

Last edited:

Retnoo

In particular, the wild caught fish we are thinking of feeding him are mullet (mugil spp.) and hard head catfish (Ariopsis felis). They are common fish in the area, and don't contain Thiaminase according to the lists I've found online.

Sean32817

I always give Rex some channel catfish fillets whenever we catch any - make sure they aren't suffering from worms - and he loves them.

Raw, ground turkey seems to be the most popular meat to feed them and Rex has been thriving on it.

As for getting a tegu to eat his fruit, vegetables and roots, simply get yourself a small Ninja blender - $20-30 bullet shaped one - and make tegu pate by grinding the meat, hard boiled eggs and salad together so he can't pick and choose.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
He's plenty ready for frozen/thawed pinkies or hopper mice too. They love those and it gets them used to eating their natural prey.

Also - it's somewhat expensive I know - but I give my guy wild caught salmon. He loves it - and chomps down 8-10 pcs of 1-2" cubes. I like the fish because of their need for fish oil that assists in their shed and health.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980