1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Santiago misbehaving ?

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by Denise Spencer, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Denise Spencer

Denise Spencer New Member

Hello everyone, I like to introduce Santiago our new Argentina black and white Tegu. My name is Denise and I have a question about the enclosure for Santi. He keeps destroying all of the set up of his enclosure why is he destroying his hide out and trying to dig as if he wants out ? Can someone help us understand this behavior ?

Attached Files:

2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Welcome Denise. Please look over threads here. Your tegu needs an at least 8 X4' for room and adequate thermal gradient. 115 f on bask, 80 f ambient, 70s f in secure hide at other end.
    Denise Spencer and EnjoysWine like this.
  3. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

Hi Denise .... you need to go much much bigger.... Tegu's are not sun worshiper Lizards and need much cooler places to hang out with still a hot basking spot
    Denise Spencer likes this.
  4. Denise Spencer

Denise Spencer New Member

We are building a new bigger enclosure as I type we already know that’s half the problem. But he’s misbehaving in eating and socializing it’s like he a mad teenager that wants nothing to do with his parents even though we are the one to provide everything to keep him alive. Any socializing tips or food tips you can give us? This is day three with him .
  5. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

It will just be the change.... He'll feel like the world he just got used to has being ripped from under him.... just be patient get him in a routine and I'm sure he'll soon settle down.