• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whos Giants Are Showing Signs Of Hibernation?? Need Help With A Decision...!!

KSTAR

5 Year Member
What's up Tegu family...So I'm looking to get a tegu again finally...and I was interested in a extreme I came across that was for sale but as we were talking he mentioned that the baby hasn't ate much because he's been sleeping alot and he's been eating here and there...this will also be my first extreme...so is it safe to buy it and is that normal to be happening right now? Are anyone else's tegus and extremes going down? I just don't wanna buy it and something be wrong with it...any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Mine was not hibernating and was eating like anything until I lost power during the hurricane. It had gotten cold in the house and I had to keep him as warm as I could including sleeping in my jacket at night. After the power came back, he was sleeping a lot and eating almost nothing. I raised the temperature back to normal and put his lights back on a 12hr schedule. After about 2 weeks now, he is starting to get back to normal. I could not let him hibernate because he had a belly full of food when the power went out.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles is a normal but yeah he's been refusing food for like a month.he's still getting up to drink/bask here and there but the concensus would be many are hibernating now or at least starting to...

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Godzilla still going strong up between 630am -730am everyday and down by 5 or 6 pm

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Worse case scenario is that you will end up with a new baby who then hibernates. But you will have a baby tegu whereas if you wait until spring to buy, there may be none available.

apocalypse910

Mine's showing no signs of slowing down yet. I thought he was going towards hibernation a few months ago. I installed a new misting system around that time and he went from barely coming out to almost full activity level again.

I thing he's staying awake just so I'll let him wander around and sleep on the heat vents. They seem to be his new favorite thing in the world besides rabbit & blueberries.

bmx3000max

my extreme started to show signs so then i upped his night time temp a little and then the signs of him hibernating went away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam