• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Who's B&W is in hibernation?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My guy isn't, he was just hatched in August and doesn't seem interested in going under anytime soon :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All of mine have been down since August, on a real warm day they will sometimes show themselves.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, I don't want to hibernate my guy but if nature takes its course I will let him be. How are you going about keeping him from hibernating?

Ari Gold

5 Year Member
yeah it doesnt seem like I could stop my red from hibernating. but i am curious if i could end it early, sometime in january or feb once his/her new enclosure is done being built.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
All of mine, B/W's and Reds are awake and still eating like pigs. None of mine have ever done what I'd call a true hibernation. Sometimes in January and February they will go down for several weeks but never more than a month.

Ari Gold

5 Year Member
interesting...

well I guess I'll see how long this lasts.

hopefully i'll be able to get the big cage built and then wake him up.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some of mine hibernate up to seven months, some go down in August and dont come out at all until March.

G

Apollo's out like a light. It took him awhile to figure it out, but I dropped the heat and light after he was taking 3 day naps and he's been out since. We just moved is tank from our old house to the new one, and he didn't mind at all. He's still out. Although I miss him, it gives me an excellent chance to build his big enclosure, start my zophoba colony (and discoids if Sammy wasn't down for awhile).

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Sadly, Jasper is not even thinking about hibernating as near as I can tell. I think it is simply too hot in the room he is in. Even when I turned off the heating pad at night it is still 80 degrees in there! I have reduced his light cycle too to no avail. I think I will have a mutant on my hands by spring!

Carole

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome Carole, great to see you here!! Welcome to the TeguTalk community!! :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They should not be loosing a bunch of weight, this is not normal during hibernation.

COWHER

5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Yeah, I don't want to hibernate my guy but if nature takes its course I will let him be. How are you going about keeping him from hibernating?
I'm just not changing lighting cycles and the heat if he does hibernate then so be it. I kinda have the same view as you. if it happens or if it doesnt happen i really could care less i just want him to get big quick :lol:

greentriple

5 Year Member
I'm doing the same thing as Cowher, except yesterday I had to turn down the head as we had a very warm day. Nov. can be a hot month in SD.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I dont have to do anything for my guys... My B&W starts hibernating in August...He just knows when it is time.My Reds on the other hand have to be coasted into it.

Aranha

5 Year Member
Hehe after like 2 months of deciding if my little buddy wants to hibernate or not i think its finally made up its mind. Been sleeping burried for 2 days straight now :).

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yea, this is not the fun part of the year, but I do like the needed rest. It looks like March is still a long ways off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi