• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

whole prey foods

new2tegus

Hi everyone, just wondered if someone could break down the whole prey items by size of a tegu. I know Jekyll is close to 24in and finishing off a bag of fuzzies then going to hoppers. Just wondered what size would he need to be for rat pups or fuzzies and for later prey animals.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Depending on the size of your tegu it should be smaller than their head,.. not including the jowls or cheeks. Anything larger and too heavy they just make a mess trying to tear it apart.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/16801-mouse-rat-size-chart.html
Rat pups (according to this chart) are 21-30g, the mouse equivalent would be large mice at 19-25g or XL mice at 30+g.

I don't want to feed anything too large, I'm probably overly cautious but my tegus are all eating 30-85g whole prey. That ends up being jumbo mice or small rats. If I do small rats they only get one each feeding, if I do jumbo mice they get 3-4 depending on when the last meal was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980