• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Where are you allowed to have Tegus?

FreelanceFae

I was just talking to my fiancee about getting a tegu once we get a more spacious living space in 2022. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding out where it is and isn't legal to keep them. I've seen that they were recently made illegal in Florida, but I'm struggling to find concrete information about New York.

The information I did find points to the negative, but I've seen people talking about owning tegus in NY.

I'm not stuck on NY, but we do have to move to one of the states surrounding CT. So which states are you definitely not allowed to own a tegu?

rats

5 Year Member
They were/are illegal in Hawaii: https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/blog/news-releases/illegal-tegu-lizard-found-in-waianae/ (2011)

And now illegal in Florida: https://www.yoursun.com/arcadia/new...cle_5ac37d34-bb0b-11ea-8758-3fdae3ea8445.html (2020)
Wait, looks like the Florida ban may be lifted! https://usark.org/usarkfl2020/#:~:t...at was,unconstitutional, and the Court agreed!

Nothing I could find regarding NY or CT (or MA, RI, etc.) or any other mentions online regarding illegal tegus, but that's not to say they aren't illegal in other states. Best bet is to look up the laws in the state you're moving to.... but since tegus aren't running rampant in NY like they are in Florida, I don't think there's a big chance they're illegal in NY, now or in future.

FreelanceFae

Nothing I could find regarding NY or CT (or MA, RI, etc.) or any other mentions online regarding illegal tegus, but that's not to say they aren't illegal in other states. Best bet is to look up the laws in the state you're moving to....
Yea, I was trying to find information on it, but NY in particular had a really confusing wording on most of the official stuff and just... It was a nightmare to read. I appreciate the help!

rantology

Most of the states considering bans are in the south... the most recent I have heard of trying to ban them is South Carolina. Florida tried to ban them but the bill ended up being thrown out. Its an ever-evolving thing these days, check per state

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hey - I didn't know the bill was thrown out! Good news. I assume that means that the eradication effort is still alive, but they can't stop people from owning, right?

LizardStudent

Actually, Florida is back to trying to ban them. I believe the proposed laws are set to be voted on this coming Thursday- and it is predicted that they're going to pass. There are petitions and the like going around though, so we'll see what happens

timemeddler

no good reason not to keep one, only bans I know of are in places that they can establish themselves in and mess up the ecosystem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny