• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When do I start worrying?

ErrolTheSwampDragon

I'm a new tegu owner, I've never kept anything that hibernates or even brumates. I purchased Balthazar as a newborn in July from a breeder in Florida who says his stock never fully hibernates, they just "slow down". Mine fell asleep around Labor Day (when the outdoor temperatures were in the 90s for 20 days straight) and hasn't moved since. When I open her hide I can tell she's breathing regularly from the substrate moving. I know that each tegu is different with their winter sleep schedule, so I'm trying to be patient. Given how early she went down, and without any environmental cues, it seems like Balthazar is at the far end of the hibernation spectrum, and I worry about how much sleep is too much and whether I should force her awake in March or April or something in case she doesn't come out on her own.

Right now, enclosure temps are 60-70 with about 70% humidity. The basking light turns on automatically for a couple hours in the early afternoon just in case.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm a new tegu owner, I've never kept anything that hibernates or even brumates. I purchased Balthazar as a newborn in July from a breeder in Florida who says his stock never fully hibernates, they just "slow down". Mine fell asleep around Labor Day (when the outdoor temperatures were in the 90s for 20 days straight) and hasn't moved since. When I open her hide I can tell she's breathing regularly from the substrate moving. I know that each tegu is different with their winter sleep schedule, so I'm trying to be patient. Given how early she went down, and without any environmental cues, it seems like Balthazar is at the far end of the hibernation spectrum, and I worry about how much sleep is too much and whether I should force her awake in March or April or something in case she doesn't come out on her own.

Right now, enclosure temps are 60-70 with about 70% humidity. The basking light turns on automatically for a couple hours in the early afternoon just in case.
All sounds fine. Your tegu cued into daylength. Hits a minimum and they’re down. Provide a suitable hotspot and allow him/her to follow daylength.

I’m in S-C PA, and they sleep hard for five months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam