1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best lighting setup?

Discussion in 'Tegu Enclosures' started by pigyzsempai, Jan 2, 2020.

1. pigyzsempai

pigyzsempai New Member

I just got a baby tegu unexpectedly, and I didn’t even know what it was, I’ve been doing a ton of research but I cant seem to figure out how I should set up the tank. I have the lights my mom bought when she got him which is a 100watt basking light and a red heat lamp (she doesn’t remember the wattage she bought) I read that tegus need UVB lights As well but I’m unsure of what I need to get exactly and where I should put it?
  2. TripleTegus

TripleTegus Member

You need a basking spot at 110-115 degrees and definitely need UVB bulb for them. The red light would be for night heat which may not be necessary. There is a lot of information to look through here you just need to do a little bit of digging.
  3. Lochlan

Lochlan Member

How big is the enclosure?
  4. TegusaurusRicoRex

TegusaurusRicoRex New Member

I actually just found this today. It really helped me conceptualize what bulb to use. When I was a newer to the hobby, I managed to give my Tegs a sunburn that he's still healing from after 5 years now. It gets better with each shed, but hopefully you can avoid it all together.

Once we know more about the enclosure, you can probably get more help!

Attached Files: