1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

What an amazing first day!

Discussion in 'Tegu Taming and Handling Discussion' started by Alec Bennett, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Alec Bennett

Alec Bennett New Member

Hello TeguTalk,

So today I received my Argentine Red, and boy is he beautiful! He has so much coloration for being only a month old, and a personality that makes me realize why all of you love tegus so much. Now, when I reached into the package to pull the guy out, he was so calm and seemed unaware of what was going on. I though the package had done all the taming for me;). But oh man, was I wrong. I placed him into his enclosure and he began basking right away. Before you know it, anyone who approached the enclosure was met by a sprinting tegu that would run wall to wall to find his escape from the big scary monsters that were simply just trying to observe him. Finally, I hopped into the cage after about 4 hours, and this guy went nuts. To make a long story short, 3 hours of taming and my gu lets me pick him up now, even though he isn't to fond of it just yet. I will take some pictures tomorrow.
  2. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

It will take some time. Young Tegus are flighty when spooked. Just be sure to spend some time with him/her every day. Be slow and gental so nothing you do can be interpreted as an aggressive movement.
  3. EnjoysWine

EnjoysWine Member

Oh, and congrats on the new Tegu!