• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Varanus Salvator (water monitor) advice...

babyyitslove

So my husband snagged a Varanus Salvator last Friday. CUTEST thing ever. He was the more social of the three that were housed together,but the thinnest. Crawled right onto my husband's hand and he was sold!
Ever since we've gotten him home and introduced him into his new mansion (compared to what he was in with roommates). His cool side sits at 80° while his basking spot is 110°-120°. He has plenty of hides and a huge water bowl/swimming pool that stays at room temp (75°),humidity never drops below 70%. He's currently in a 55 gallon tank until we complete a custom enclosure for him in the near future. (This seems to be more than enough space for now. He's just a baby).
Our only concern is that he hides.... constantly. He rarely comes out to bask,and refuses to eat in front of us. He's currently going into shed,also.
This is my first actual MONITOR,and I was looking for some words of encouragement and advice. I do realize that most animals have to get used to their new home,I just want to make sure everything is right!

roastedspleen

Savannah monitors and ackies are better for beginners ackies being the best. But seeing the amount of scaleys you own it shouldnt be a problem. I have yet to own a lizard so i cant say anything about your water monitors behavior. Probably just scared tho.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
His behavior sounds normal. I rarely saw mine and never saw him eat for the first while I had him. A thin monitor is also a bad sign.

Since 99% are WC you have to be aware he may not survive. No matter how perfect you set them up, some are dead before they are even available for sale. Them and us just don't know it yet.

What are you using for substrate and how deep is it? Is the top solid so humidity doesn't escape? What are you feeding and how are you offering it? Basking spot needs to be bumped up to 130-140 with lower temps surrounding.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.proexotics.com/care_water.html
http://www.herpcenter.com/monitors/16357-water-monitor.html

I don't have experience with these but IMO a healthy well kept water monitor would be a nice display animal and not a "pet". It also seems like they do best with limited human interaction unless they initiate it. Young lizards tend to be terrified of everything because they are easy prey in the wild. Handling can make them more frightened. It seems like the best thing you can do is be as hands off as possible and let him come to you. As it gets older it will become more bold and curious about you.
I think it was James who said that one of his monitors is just now starting to stay out when he is in the room. If you leave it alone and don't try to force interaction the monitor will eventually learn it can come out and bask without you trying to manhandle it.

babyyitslove

We're using a peat moss/ eco earth mix, about 4 inches deep. The top is solid glass with a 4 inch portion of screen above the water bowl for ventilation.
Humidity holds at 70% or higher when Misted. But holds 70 without misting.
We've been feeding him large crickets and going for ground Turkey today.

Any other suggestions on food?

He is in our bedroom, as the reptile room is a high traffic area. If I'm lucky I can catch him basking as soon as I wake up. We don't bother him much.. but as you said Alexi, I've always had the impression that monitors exhibited high stress when handled too often.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dont bother with Turkey it is terrible for them. Whole prey only, crickets, roaches, mice, rats, chicks, fertile eggs.

Get sand/soil for substrat at least 6" deep more if possible.

Leave him alone, feed him and keep him hot.

babyyitslove

The other two he was housed with were pretty plump, one a little larger than the other. We're thinking it was a dominant thing and competeing for food. The employees said they handled ours about once a week, as he was the less flighty one. They've had all three for a few months and they seem pretty healthy.

Any advice to help him through this shed that seems to be a bit difficult?

We'll change the substrate tonight....and allow him more depth to burrow. Is he OK in the 55 or should we consider starting the construction on the large enclosure ASAP?
I'm not sure if they prefer larger living spaces or feel more secure in smaller ones as babies.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The first Salvator I had died, and I was told by the shop he was healthy and they handled him daily so he was tame. If a baby monitor is tame enough to be handled he is not healthy. They should be very feisty and defensive. Aquariums are not good for monitors in general because they don't allow for deep substrate and don't hold temps and humidity very well. They can be modified to work for a short time, but I would plan a new enclosure fairly soon.

What makes you believe he is having a bad shed?

babyyitslove

It has come off of his head, but his body is still covered in old skin and shows no signs of peeling up. I snagged a small piece and it just broke right off instead of peeling.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Get the substrate in there and he will do the rest. If it is still there in a couple weeks then you should assist.

babyyitslove

OK cool! Hopefully with the sand mix it'll be abrasive enough help him get it off on his own.

I'm trying to think of a way to see if he's eating....he did poo in his water yesterday, so I'm happy about That. But his crickets keep committing suicide in his water tub. Should I provide him with tall stuff to climb on and dense foliage?

CrankbaitJedi

If it is hiding, it hasn't lost its mind. That is a good thing. Small monitors should be hiding!

It reminds me of the friendly raccoon that was parading around our neighborhood a few years back. It would just walk up on your porch and say Hi. It would walk up to dogs and whatever else it could find. Oh, did I say friendly? I meant it had Parvo and was out of its freaking goard.

Don't expect to see your little guy for awhile. Don't dig it out to check on it, just provide it food and if it is gone... you know he is eating. Good enough. Baby waters don't know that they will grow up to be 7 foot monsters or have been written about in books that they are easily tamed. With my young water, it was pure piss and vinegar. Thrashing like a devil, tail whipping, hissing, biting and shatting all over me any chance she got. To her, I was the enemy. She was feisty from Day 1 and I knew that was just the way of things. I loved her so much. Hehehehehehehe.

Saying all that, it gets better with time. Don't rush it. It is about the monitor. (I totally tried to rush it-I embrace my hypocrisy)

babyyitslove

After all that said... My mind is at ease =0)
My husband and I are both to terms of leaving him be.
We just need to master the husbandry and keep on top of it!
he's the only one of his species in our collection, and until we've gotten a feel for him, it'll stay that way.
We're very intrigued by this little Guy, and I refuse to fail!!!

This species has such great potential as a family member... I just want to do right by him.

babyyitslove

Here are the first and only photos I have of him, which were taken right before I put him into his new home....

bdfd1e52-420d-475b-97b2-ae954d9889f4.jpg

b45c6ba7-f0af-4545-9925-a96b2c4412c9.jpg

bd7d1bc0-0377-45d8-a2fb-e26520839fad.jpg

So, there's Petrie.... the water monitor. Lol

jdpFL

Comparing to my savannah, i've never had a water monitor, but an interesting fact is ANY CHANGE, even a new water dish in his enclosure, and he hides for two days. obviously he doesn't love anything unusual in his day. Strict routine and very limited handling have shown the best results with him.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Please don't take offense as this has nothing to do with you, but he looks extremely emaciated and dehydrated from the pics. Even with the proper setup he may not make it. If your temps and humidity are as you say, he may pull through, but get the basking spot up to 130-140.

As far as should you add things for him to climb and foliage to hide, yes. The more he can move around without being seen the better. Get the soil in there so he can burrow down to get hydrated.

As far as knowing if he is eating or not, this is what made me start to feed fuzzy mice. I can put them in the cage and if they are gone, I know he is eating. You can try this or put dubia roaches in a bowl they can't climb out of and it will do the same thing. Crickets are hard to keep track of, I have a problem with them escaping the enclosure.

babyyitslove

Oi, jeez.
I knew he looked a little thin.

So what are the odds that I toss a live fuzzie in there and it peaks his interest?

Now that I know more about their general healthy appearence, if worst case scenario plays out, ill know what to look for.
candyapplecorn said:
Well I've nothing constructive to say but if you aren't fudging your numbers then WOW I am jealous of your set-up!
Eh.... the numbers are spot on, but the set up is not attractive, nor easy to maintain. I have a heater going in my bedroom at night, set to 77° . I sweat in my sleep to keep him warm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980