• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UV lighting?

casey15

(THIS IS JUST BECAUSE I'M CURIOUS, PLEASE NO RUDE COMMENTS)

I know many owners who use UV lighting but also many don't including some breeders like Pro Exotics. They say with proper temperature/diet its not needed.

Savannah owners, do you use it or no? If so, why or why not?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When I was keeping a savannah, I did not provide UVB. In my opinion with proper diet UVB nor supplements are needed.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There was a study performed on savs that showed that dietary Vit D was a sufficient replacement for UVB lighting. Some keepers believe there are other benefits to UV lighting besides VtD manufacture. So there is a debate.

casey15

I'm trying to decide about UV light or not, almost everything needs sunlight, and without it things like proper bone growth/hormone regulation don't work to full capacity. I get that vitamin supplements would help but I don't know if that would be a good substitute. I'm planning on letting my Sav. get natural sunlight and fresh air...

NorCalAl

5 Year Member
In both the new and the current ackie cage, I provide UV in tube lighting. I've read both sides and neither is conclusive nor compelling in their case. I can see where NOT having it can cause harm - I don't see where having it can do the same. Better safe than sorry. It's a small cost in the overall scheme of raising monitors.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
NorCalAl said:
In both the new and the current ackie cage, I provide UV in tube lighting. I've read both sides and neither is conclusive nor compelling in their case. I can see where NOT having it can cause harm - I don't see where having it can do the same. Better safe than sorry. It's a small cost in the overall scheme of raising monitors.

Ditto

Robyn@SYR

Found this post and mention through The Reptile Report : )

We have never used full spectrum lighting in breeding lizards. Any number of different species.

When lizards are underkept, UV can work as a bandaid to try and address a non-thriving situation.

But I believe calcium placement is related to availability (diet) and heat (proper basking). Given calcium in the diet, either through whole foods or supplementing feeder insects, and access to 130F surface temps for basking, the animal should be able to place calcium successfully, grow at a strong rate, and thrive.

Proper hydration is also important, as always.

Will UV hurt? Not in most cases. Natural sunlight is fantastic, if it is convenient and safe for your situation.

But do fancy bulbs actually HELP? Minimally at best. Proper temp and moisture gradients are much more important and impactful, along with a solid diet.

That is my experience : )

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Robyn, have you ever kept/bred tegus without UVB? I am just curious, I have raised a few varanids without, but always provided uvb for my tegu.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Just my opinion i think uvb is great for reptiles and i wouldnt raise my reptiles without it 24 years keeping reptiles,plus great diet and basking temps.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Robyn@SYR said:
We have kept (and raised) the Albino Blues without it, yes.

From hatchling to adult? What do you provide as far as diet and supplements? Do they receive natural sunlight on a regular basis?

yulyani

casey15 said:
(THIS IS JUST BECAUSE I'M CURIOUS, PLEASE NO RUDE COMMENTS)

I know many owners who use UV lighting but also many don't including some breeders like Pro Exotics. They say with proper temperature/diet its not needed.

Savannah owners, do you use it or no? If so, why or why not?

In my opinion all monitor lizards do much better with proper lighting. Eventhough it's easy to get sunshine in Indonesia, I still provide them the UVA+UVB spectrum lamps in the cage....because usually I put my lizards still inside every evening-night. I keep the lights on until 8 pm every evening. It is because every evening-night the lizards still having the activity/playing at cages, and sometimes I offer them snack like gold fish so it helps seeing them. The activity and the appetite usually much better with lights and it is definetely needed if the wheather is bad (rainy season).
Because most of my lizards are the indonesian monitor ( i love savy but I don't have one), I only use the zoo med and exoterra 18 and 24 watt, I don't provide the higher watt because the weather here is quite warm....

Robyn@SYR

james.w said:
From hatchling to adult? What do you provide as far as diet and supplements? Do they receive natural sunlight on a regular basis?

Rodent based diet, occasional insects. I don't know that they ever saw the sun. 50watt Halogen Flood bulbs.

We typically supplement insects, but again, they were a limited offering for our Tegus, it was mostly rodents.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Robyn@SYR said:
james.w said:

Rodent based diet, occasional insects. I don't know that they ever saw the sun. 50watt Halogen Flood bulbs.

We typically supplement insects, but again, they were a limited offering for our Tegus, it was mostly rodents.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980