• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Urgent - safe, affordable substrate?

treysik

Hey folks,

So I am trying to move away from that packed soil substrate you buy at pet shops for something affordable and that I really don't need to unpack with water.

Cypress mulch is out as no where in this city (Ottawa, Ontario) sells it - only cedar which is a huge no-no. I called every nursery and hardware store within 100km. They can order it but I have to buy a skid, that's a bit much LOL.

Are there any alternatives? I've read mixed reviews of top soils and such, thought it best to ask here,

Thanks!

Skeetzy

Organic top soil, or additive free soil, and play sand. 3 to 1, dirt to sand. I have about 700 lbs of dirt and 300 sand and it works nicely. Make sure you get at least 10" deep or it dries sort of fast.

Forgot to say, I only spend about $60 for all the dirt and sand.

Logie_Bear

Organic Peat! It is extremely resistant to mold and holds moisture great! I use it in many of my tanks and it's just fabulous (and cheap)!

Yogamum

Hey folks,

So I am trying to move away from that packed soil substrate you buy at pet shops for something affordable and that I really don't need to unpack with water.

Cypress mulch is out as no where in this city (Ottawa, Ontario) sells it - only cedar which is a huge no-no. I called every nursery and hardware store within 100km. They can order it but I have to buy a skid, that's a bit much LOL.

Are there any alternatives? I've read mixed reviews of top soils and such, thought it best to ask here,

Thanks!
I think it’s a Canada thing. Cypress mulch is generally only found in pet stores I had the same problem. I live north of you.

Trizz1964

Organic Peat! It is extremely resistant to mold and holds moisture great! I use it in many of my tanks and it's just fabulous (and cheap)!
i have to agree, purchased a 3.5 cu feet cube from lowes for 9.99 last week to fill my 8x4x4 enclosure with 9 bricks of eco earth and one bag of forest floor from zoo med great stuff..

Hey folks,

Thanks!
Here in Arizona cypress mulch is very expensive at pet store. To fill a 6x4x4 will cost me $125. So I use organic topsoil, organic peat moss, a bag of sand plus coconut fiber. I kept the topsoil with bag of sand mix in the button n I ad on top a peat moss coconut fiber. I water the substrate very well enough to hold the moist for humidity. Now that winter is approaching, I invested a big bag $7 Walmart a Kiln dried pine dust free. I add a half of bag to start n Tiberius loves it. Keep the humidity above 70% as soon as Tegu start sneezing, the substrate is to dry. The total cost to me $26. Invest a good humidifier. I kept humidifier run in my reptile room all day. Invest a temp gun and digital temp + humidity monitor. I guess I said too much. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980