• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

T's

Compnerd7

This is the very end of my Invert collection, and sadly these guys probably won't be in my possession much longer so I decided to snap some pics before they go. Its hard to believe that just a year ago I had 100's and now I only have 5 :(
Psalmopoeus irminias
PI2.jpg

PI1.jpg

Brachypelma vagans
BV1.jpg

Avicularia versicolor
2012-01-01_21-16-58_135.jpg

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i like the blue guy, i been thinking of selling my orange baboon so i could get something that wont eat my face off lol.

Kimmie

:x why did i click on this i had to look, no I dont mean to be mean but I hate spiders xD I cry everytime i see a big spider in my home i am so scared :x

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Compnerd, what happened to your collection? The cobalt is gorgeous! I only keep G rosea, some P imperator, and a D variegatus. I would love to get a Goliath Birdeater!

Compnerd7

frost said:
i like the blue guy, i been thinking of selling my orange baboon so i could get something that wont eat my face off lol.
hahaha OBTs are kind of... naturally crazy? haha

Kimmie said:
:x why did i click on this i had to look, no I dont mean to be mean but I hate spiders xD I cry everytime i see a big spider in my home i am so scared :x

No worries, a lot of people have massive fear of spiders, like they have fear of reptiles. I actually started out years ago terrified of spiders and scorpions, that's what first peaked my interest in them. After I learned about them and got one, I was so completely fascinated with them I ended up breeding them and having a huge collection! Once you get one, it's an addiction you can't control lol.

laurarfl said:
Compnerd, what happened to your collection? The cobalt is gorgeous! I only keep G rosea, some P imperator, and a D variegatus. I would love to get a Goliath Birdeater!

I've had to sell it off slowly to pay some medical bills that have been hanging over my head forever. Inverts actually ended up being a great investment. Even though I hated seeing them go, I was able to sell each one for 5X+ what I paid for them because of their new size, which was awesome because they take almost no money to keep.

Theraphosa blondi aren't much to look at, but their huge size is awesome :p I had a Acanthoscurria geniculata ( Brazilian whiteknee tarantula ) that got pretty huge, my female was pushing 9"

Compnerd7

My Avicularia versicolor finally molted into her adult colors this last week she looks great! It's an amazing color change from the Teal / Blue to the super hairy blend of reds, purples, and greens.

Avers.jpg

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is AMAZING!

I picked up a few more and they just arrived yesterday. ;)

FL bark scorpion...wanted a native.

B albopilosum 2 incher, L parahybana 1 incher. I'm quite excited about the birdeater even if it isn't a T blondi. I'm a little nervous about starting with spiderlings. I've only had the one adult and scorps. I really, really hope I do well by them.

Dana C

[attachment=4128][attachment=4127][attachment=4126][attachment=4125]

These are 4 of the 8 that I have.
The baby is a G. rosea sling. Who couldn't love that little cutie? I currently have:
Brachypelma albopilosum – Curlyhair (about 9 months old, sex unknown)
Brachypelma smithi - Mexican Red Knee
Grammostola pulchripes - Chaco Golden Knees
Grammostola rosea – Chilian Rose
Aphonopelma sp. - New River –
Grammostola inheringi – Entre Rios
Avicularia metallica
Lasadora parahybana

The pictures are crappy. The picture of the Lasadora doesn't do her justice. She is currently half again bigger than a DVD. To most people just looking at her through glass is their worst nightmare.
All my spiders are adult females. All can be handled but I only do so on rare occasions. Remind me some time to tell you how the bird eater settled in on the middle of my back. I was alone and couldn't get her off. Then there was the time when I first got into T's and ordered 1,000 crickets and I accidentally opened the inner box and left my bed room for a while. Seeing 1,000 crickets on your bed room walls is really a Kodak moment.....trust me. :)

[attachment=4129]Oops I attached two pictures of the bird eater and forgot my favorite girl the G. pulchripes, Chaco Golden Knees. She is fairly large. She is between 6 and 7 inches, very docile and eats like a horse.
I also found another picture of the G. Inheringi and one of the Goliath before her last molt next to a DVD. She is bigger now. The other Large Marge picture of her is a photo of her in her 20 gallon long tank to give you an idea of how large she is. She could grow another couple of inches.[attachment=4130][attachment=4131]

Attachments

• G inheringi.JPG
    G inheringi.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 7
  • PB113293.JPG
    PB113293.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Lasadora Parahybana 1.jpg
    Lasadora Parahybana 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Baby tarantula.jpg
    Baby tarantula.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PC113299.JPG
    PC113299.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 6
  • l. parahybana.JPG
    l. parahybana.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • parahybana.JPG
    parahybana.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 8

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
be still my beating heart...if my T gets that big I will be so overjoyed! I'll have to take some photos. My G rosea is nice and a good size. I handle her at educational programs and she has quiet a fan base. ;) But I have had her for almost 6 years and she was fairly large when I bought her. So I thought it was time to invest in another ambassador (the curly). The birdeater is just so I can walk into my house and say, "Man I love that animal!" My African bullfrogs are for much the same purpose...they just make me very very happy in a very nerdy way, lol.

Dana, as an aside, I keep laughing when I see your signature. I have Evita at my house waiting to watching it with my daughter. It used to make me think of Antonio Banderas, but know I think of your tegu, haha.

Compnerd7

laurarfl said:
That is AMAZING!

I picked up a few more and they just arrived yesterday. ;)

FL bark scorpion...wanted a native.

B albopilosum 2 incher, L parahybana 1 incher. I'm quite excited about the birdeater even if it isn't a T blondi. I'm a little nervous about starting with spiderlings. I've only had the one adult and scorps. I really, really hope I do well by them.

Dana C said:
These are 4 of the 8 that I have.
The baby is a G. rosea sling. Who couldn't love that little cutie? I currently have:
Brachypelma albopilosum – Curlyhair (about 9 months old, sex unknown)
Brachypelma smithi - Mexican Red Knee
Grammostola pulchripes - Chaco Golden Knees
Grammostola rosea – Chilian Rose
Aphonopelma sp. - New River –
Grammostola inheringi – Entre Rios
Avicularia metallica
Lasadora parahybana

The pictures are crappy. The picture of the Lasadora doesn't do her justice. She is currently half again bigger than a DVD. To most people just looking at her through glass is their worst nightmare.
All my spiders are adult females. All can be handled but I only do so on rare occasions. Remind me some time to tell you how the bird eater settled in on the middle of my back. I was alone and couldn't get her off. Then there was the time when I first got into T's and ordered 1,000 crickets and I accidentally opened the inner box and left my bed room for a while. Seeing 1,000 crickets on your bed room walls is really a Kodak moment.....trust me. :)

Oops I attached two pictures of the bird eater and forgot my favorite girl the G. pulchripes, Chaco Golden Knees. She is fairly large. She is between 6 and 7 inches, very docile and eats like a horse.
I also found another picture of the G. Inheringi and one of the Goliath before her last molt next to a DVD. She is bigger now. The other Large Marge picture of her is a photo of her in her 20 gallon long tank to give you an idea of how large she is. She could grow another couple of inches.

Nice collections you guys! I thought I was the only one on this board who had more then a few Ts... I just picked up 8 Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Gold Knees) because like you said laura, I like having a large spider that I can say, "Man I love that animal" haha, most T species I have kept were on the smaller side, minus my old Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian whiteknee) who got out of her cage and I am still convinced she is in my house somewhere feasting on the wild crickets that run around haha... I really like your A. metallica Dana C, that is on my list to own and breed in the future. Right now, I just need to focus on the breeding of my A. versicolor. Luckily, I got a new job this last week, more hours with a huge pay raise, which basically means more Inverts and more Reptiles haha. I also get to keep my collection now!

My friend Jordan and I did something cool over the last weekend, we often go on "spur of the moment trips" so we drove up to the Amboy Crater ( http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/needles/amboy.html ) which was awesome, then up to Mojave National Preserve and camped / hiked / rock climbed / herped there for the day, it was BEAUTIFUL. At about 9pm after I took a good nap on the desert floor we decided to keep the adventure going because clouds rolled in and it became unsatisfactory herp weather. From there we drove to Las Vegas, and had dinner and hung out, did Vegas stuff lol then headed south through Henderson and drove straight through the night into Arizona. We stopped out on the edge of the Sonoran Desert and found some random campground out in the middle of nowhere that had a river / waterfalls run through it and stayed there until the sun rose. We took pics, herped, fished ( got a nice rainbow trout with my snake stick! I just speared him in the early morning when he swam near me to grab a bug. The most ghetto fishing I have ever done, but we had our breakfast! ) then drove home. I don't think I have seen a more beautiful desert then the Sonoran, it's just a little bit more beautiful then the Mojave and Joshua Tree. Anyways, this is where the story relates to the thread hah... While my friend slept in the car and waited for the sun to rise, I was out herping lol. I caught many a scorpion, including Centruroides sculpturatus (Desert Bark Scorpion) but I released those. The only scorpion I kept was one of my favorite species, Vaejovis spinigerus (Arizona Stripedtail Scorpion or Arizona Devil Scorpion). For some reason, the small, compact build, with a thick tail and stout chela attracts me to them. As a kid I use to keep them communally instead of ant farms, I would have my scorpion farm because they dig and tunnel and are just really cool to watch. I will note that they are not communal scorpions, there is no such thing, but they do "tolerate" each other. They also breed easy, and you more then likely will end up with a mother carrying a bunch of slings which is always an awesome sight to see, but housing / selling off the slings is kind of a pain :/. I usually let nature take it's place, and let them cannibalize so only the strongest survived and became part of the colony.

We have a week long trip to Arizona planned, our base camp is going to be in Nogales AZ June 1th - 7th (more then likely after the 7th we will not want to go home and end up traveling north or east to herp different areas) if anyone wants to join in, come for a few days, or if you live in Arizona and want to do some herping. Also, if you want to, bring your passports because we are going to go down into Mexico for some good food, cheap liquor, and firecrackers. ( even though I live 2.5 hours from the Mexican boarder now, I am getting sick of always going to Tijuana or any of the Baja California cities. If Nogales Mexico and surround areas look and feel safe enough we will go and herp. Obviously we will ask the locals, and avoid the Federales. We are not stupid when it comes to going to Mexico, especially these days, so no fooling around down there will be tolerated. Our main goal of this entire trip is to find Gila Monsters, and if we can get into the right areas, Mexican Beaded Lizards. Those are 2 species we have never seen in the wild and we have a mission to photograph them.

Laura, every one of my T's (pet stock, not breeding) including my first 10 or so Ts that I ever owned were slings. They are really not difficult to take care of. Here is a forum, if you haven't been there already, that is really awesome. I've been on there for 5 years now, I was even one of the first 7 members to form start a branch off forum S.C.A.B.I.E.S. (Southern California Arachnid Bug Insect Entomology Society). Anyways check out http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/ for in-depth info on inverts, it's a really great community.

m3s4

man that versicolor is beautiful...my chilean rose recently passed away, i think she was going on about 10 years old...if i see a versicolor here locally one day, that will be my next t.

Dana C

Large Marge really is scary looking but while she is not thrilled about being handled, she has never flicked nor assumed an agressive stance. She is fast however which is how she ended up on my back one day. I was alone and could see her in the mirror over my dresser. I thought ok, I can't reach you so I will take off my T shirt. No problem I thought and "no problem" she thought as well. I very gingerly pulled my shirt of. She in turn very gingerly just moved off the shirt on to the skin of my back. They have hooks on the ends of their legs and she felt the need to hang on, which hurt like hell. I really did not want to get tagged as her fangs are over 1/2 inch, indeed HUGE. Finally after sitting on my bed for a half an hour in pain, she sort sauntered down onto the bed. I coaxed her up onto my hand and put her back. What a kodak moment that would have been had I not been along. I remember looking in the mirror seeing her quietly perched on my bare back and thinking, "Great, just great, what the hell do I do now".

As an interesting side note, I have communicated with folks with the American Tarantula Society who confirmed a suspicion of mine. My contention was that T's were capable of recognizing one human from another based upon taste and vibration. We all give off micro vibes and a T tastes with their pedilap hairs. My Golden Knees, crawled onto my back when I had a couple of people over that wanted to see them. She is the most docile of all of the T's I have. Anyway, again I couldn't reach her and she wasn't moving so I asked my friends one at a time to try and coax her on to their hands, and instructed them how to do it safely for them and the T. She would have no part of them and refused to budge. When she finally walked down and onto the bed, I let them try it again with no luck. When I tried to coax her onto my hand, she walked right on stopped and I put her back, no muss no fuss. I did this with other T's with the same result. I really am hesitant to draw any firm conclusions but it is interesting, yes?

Compnerd7

Dana C said:
Large Marge really is scary looking but while she is not thrilled about being handled, she has never flicked nor assumed an agressive stance. She is fast however which is how she ended up on my back one day. I was alone and could see her in the mirror over my dresser. I thought ok, I can't reach you so I will take off my T shirt. No problem I thought and "no problem" she thought as well. I very gingerly pulled my shirt of. She in turn very gingerly just moved off the shirt on to the skin of my back. They have hooks on the ends of their legs and she felt the need to hang on, which hurt like hell. I really did not want to get tagged as her fangs are over 1/2 inch, indeed HUGE. Finally after sitting on my bed for a half an hour in pain, she sort sauntered down onto the bed. I coaxed her up onto my hand and put her back. What a kodak moment that would have been had I not been along. I remember looking in the mirror seeing her quietly perched on my bare back and thinking, "Great, just great, what the hell do I do now".

As an interesting side note, I have communicated with folks with the American Tarantula Society who confirmed a suspicion of mine. My contention was that T's were capable of recognizing one human from another based upon taste and vibration. We all give off micro vibes and a T tastes with their pedilap hairs. My Golden Knees, crawled onto my back when I had a couple of people over that wanted to see them. She is the most docile of all of the T's I have. Anyway, again I couldn't reach her and she wasn't moving so I asked my friends one at a time to try and coax her on to their hands, and instructed them how to do it safely for them and the T. She would have no part of them and refused to budge. When she finally walked down and onto the bed, I let them try it again with no luck. When I tried to coax her onto my hand, she walked right on stopped and I put her back, no muss no fuss. I did this with other T's with the same result. I really am hesitant to draw any firm conclusions but it is interesting, yes?

Lol that's good your T didn't tag you, you might have flinched and ended up with a squashed spider! I had my Poecilotheria regalis out once to take pictures (that is the only time I take out a poke) and the photo shoot was going good. Then, out of no where, he bolted as fast as lightning up my arm, across my back then back down the other arm. The whole trip took him about 2 seconds. It is amazing how FAST some species of Ts are, especially the Poecilotheria genus. I don't know why, but Ts always seem to like going on peoples back, must feel safe haha.

That is interesting about your Grammostola pulchripes, I know that pretty much the entire arachnid community believe that Ts are nothing but instinct and clockwork. I have read stories similar to yours, but people often dismiss it as a fluke. I like to keep an open mind on such matters, because science is always advancing, and there is no conclusive evidence yet to prove one way or the other. I believe that Ts are more of a pure instinct creature then most, but I wouldn't rule out owner recondition and an ability to tame them as being impossible. There is so much we don't know about the natural world, being closed minded only hinders advancement IMHO.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was hoping you would bring your T knowledge to the Tarantulaforum.org that Josh just started.

http://www.tarantulaforum.com/

Dana C

Yes, she who must be obeyed, I have heard and shall obey....LOL

Dana C said:
Yes, she who must be obeyed, I have heard and shall obey....LOL

No offense intended...I was just reading "She" by H. Rider Haggard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744