• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

To my fellow teenage keepers,

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Just thought i'd give you a few words. Now i'm not the type to post random threads and all i just thought i'd share this.

So my friend is like me(Love's reptiles) He's 16, but his mother is like many of mothers is not 100% supportive of keeping reptiles, she didn't want it in the house,but still he managed to persuade her enough to get another corn snake and three leopard geckos. Only deal was it stayed in his room, one day the corn snake escape while he was out and his mother killed it(via broom ouch :x) and went in his room and had his brother get the leopard gecko tubs and set them free outside. My friend spent all day looking for them but no luck,all was lost.

The moral of this little story? Make sure your parents are always on board with what your getting, try and think about what your getting before you get it,think not only one or two years but 4 or 5 years ahead when your getting something like a Tegu or Ball python! I know a lot rush into it and cannot even take care of themselves and the parents end up taking care of the lizard, or you lie and say that little lizard would stay small, few months latter its huge!

Me saying all this may seem a bit hypocritical being my moms is not 100% fine with my reptiles,but she is we'll aware of what i have and i pay for my own supplies and reptile food. I also pretty much have the next few yrs of my life planned out for my reptiles(college and all).

We'll that's pretty much it, i have more to write and more than likely repeated myself a few times but i'm tired so i'll leave it at this. It may seem like a stupid rant or pointless thread to most but its true! One mother smashing a snake with a broom is enough!

ps,
By "one day" i meant yesterday.

Sorry for my bad wording! Me tired :sleepy:

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol i agree with max. its a shame, even though she didnt like them theyre still living animals :(

maybe leo's will become an invasive species LOLOL

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is why people need to be sure their reptiles cannot escape their enclosures. Not saying she should have did what she did, but it was her house and I'm sure she told him she didn't want to see any animals out of their cages.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Lol ha ha really true, you know i was extremely p*$*ed when i found this out. Being i was the one who helped hatch out that corn. She could have at least swept it out the house and maybe it could had been found.

But yeah, my friend said his weigh cracked the tub side and he forgot to patch it up and when he was going to get a new tub that day for her, its really a shame.

And the leo's we're so freaking healthy and had the most amazing colors!!!!!

Leos are prob cat chow now though! Maybe animal planet could make a show though on the three leos invading NY?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think that was way out of order, i had pets when i was 16, my mother didnt care for them but if one managed to escape she wouldnt have killed it or set any of them free, she could have at least allowed him to rehome the animals instead of giving them a death sentence, i feel sorry for your friend

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I can kind of relate. I have convinced my parents to let me keep my reptiles(you can tell I don't have many for a reason), But they absolutely hate snakes. My dad let me keep a ball python for a year. He got out as ball pythons do. Lucky I found it before he did because he said if he found it he would throw it outside in the woods. I told him he couldn't do that in which he responded "Why? The snake came from the wild in the first place". I am pretty sure the snake wasn't wild caught and weren't native to Maryland. Parents can be really dumb when it comes to animals for some reason or atleast in my case. I told people(other adults) ball python females could grow to 6 ft and they thought "OMG that's longer than me it could eat me!" SMH...

herpgirl2510

Thats awful sounds like when my sister in law went to florida and a house gecko got in the room and she had her son flush him down the toilet.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Darn that did suck killing the animal,i dont care for hurting or killing of animals at all rehoming would of been better idea.I was lucky my parents love animals,my mom loves my lizards and always supported my lizard keeping even as a kid so i was lucky,my dad had a green iguana as that led to him buying me my first green iguana when i was a kid and thats were it all began lol.:)

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man i must have the reptile mom of a saint! My leos got out once and she put a box over it until i got home to put it back. I had a salamader that made it down to the basment (two flights of stairs), she woke me up to go and get it. She forgave me for dropping a box of 1,000 crickets and a bag of 1000 super worms. She even looked after 30 leos my first year in college so i wouldn't have to sell them. When to AR for 6 months couldn't take Bosco and she fed and cleaned him, all the while saying his ugly lol. So don't give up, somtimes it just takes awhile for parents to learn that this is your passion. Now my mom is happy me and the reptiles have moved out, but she still won't let me have my chinchilla back, think she likes him too much.

Neeko

I agree with Strange Evil, you need to keep in mind of years. As for my opinion of the story... call a professional to just take the said pets away. You dont like your significant other, child, what ever. Just call some one to take them. Post an ad give them to a pet store. The situation could of been handled better then it was on both parts.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I agree it was really uncalled for, but sometimes parents are we'll.....like that. My mother does not 100% support my keeping of reptiles but she understands and knows it involves my future goals. I keep my animals clean and healthy and feed them with my own money. She'd even watch them for me, we'll most she would do is make sure my lights are on.

My father on the other hand love's reptiles, we both get it from his father. My father had a albino burm once but he doesn't keep anything anymore because of his job, he would had just been leaving most of the care on me.

@reptastic, me too man, it sucks he put a lot of work into them especially the Leos.

@rrcoolj, Its like that sometimes, did i mention that when my friend moms killed the snake afterwards she was telling the father that was a poison snake because it was black -___-! And i kind of chuckled a bit with the woods thing, thats something else.

@Herpgirl, Wow, it would have just been easier to just through it outside. :x

@Teguboy, Lucky you man! My dad likes my reptiles, and would keep his own but he doesn't have the time. My moms would never ever ever own one though.

@Chelvis, You must have some smart reptiles for so many escapes lol, and 1000 crickets gosh, how'd you handle that situation? I know i have quite a few crickets that jump out when i'm feeding.

@neeko, agreed!

jumper123

that sucks! i had to wait till i moved out before purchasing any reptiles, although I am sure she knew the day was coming when i used to have my pictures with gators and pythons at the circus. I was never allowed any.. now my mother wont come to my house because of her deathly fear of snakes. She is warming up to the tegus.. but at least i dont have to see my mom when i dont want to!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hate to say it but my mom probably would have done the same. I waited to get any pets until I moved out. Even then it was just my dogs. When I moved in with my dad he was all for me getting animals as long as I stayed out of trouble lol.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
That's an awful story. :( My parents have let me keep reptiles since I was 3 and they pay for all the gear, since my animals are considered family pets. They even took care of my critters while I was away at college, including giving my python shots when he was ill. The only animal was was never allowed to get was a monitor, and in retrospect that was smart thinking on my mom's part. Getting a pet for a kid, not matter the species, requires research and family discussion to make sure it is the right animal. I hope never to hear another story like this one again. I hope that woman gets what's coming to her for murdering an innocent snake.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
dragonmetalhead said:
That's an awful story. :( My parents have let me keep reptiles since I was 3 and they pay for all the gear, since my animals are considered family pets. They even took care of my critters while I was away at college, including giving my python shots when he was ill. The only animal was was never allowed to get was a monitor, and in retrospect that was smart thinking on my mom's part. Getting a pet for a kid, not matter the species, requires research and family discussion to make sure it is the right animal. I hope never to hear another story like this one again. I hope that woman gets what's coming to her for murdering an innocent snake.

You got it good then man, but even if my moms offered i'd rather pay for my own reptiles.

But easy there with the comments, its still my friends mom, although i'm mad at her as we'll, no need for any more disrespectful comments toward her. kk ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam