• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tips on things to try feeding also need advise on humidity

Chris W

I have had my lil guy ever sense he was a baby. Hes about 6 months now and i keep reading all these people feeing so often and i have never been able to do that. He rarely eats though i try everyday. He will rarely eat a pinky and the thing i have the most luck with seem to be roaches. I have tried raw turkey frozen pinkeys (has never ate one only seems to go after the live ones) some fruits and vegies like collard greens. Anyone got any ideas on what to get him to try to eat more its really starting to bug me all he does is stay in his hide all day except for the time i spend with him. Also i live in colorado and the humidity is not high at all and i was wondering the best way to get his humidity even higher. Thank you in advance.

Chris W

I mist daily but that is the other part i needed advice on is its still not where i would like it to be and his basking is 120 and cooler side sits around 80

dpjm

5 Year Member
There are a few things to do to increase humidity. Decrease ventilation. Add fake plants - this makes misting more effective, the more wet surfaces equals more evaporation equals higher humidity. Also, where are you measuring the humidity (where is your hygrometer, in the basking area, cool area)?

Chris W

Its in the middle between the 2 i heard they try eating the plants or i would have added them are we talking fake vines or what and i only have 2 vents the lower one on the cool side and higher on basking side

EnjoysWine

As for getting him to eat, try giving him chunks of raw chicken liver. My young Tegu goes nuts for it and eats his fill every time I offer it. I can also get him to eat veggies that he otherwise wouldn't eat just by putting the liver juice/blood on it.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I take a section of his substrate out every few days and soak it over night then spread it out the next morning.... Especially in hot side.

Zyn

Just get a pump spray bottle from walmart for like 8 bucks the big ones used for like weed killer but obviously fill it with water and not weed killer ;p

Chris W

Just get a pump spray bottle from walmart for like 8 bucks the big ones used for like weed killer but obviously fill it with water and not weed killer ;p
This is what im doing and the only thing im doing i was going to get a spray system just heard they break way to easy

Ginny Mastandrea

Meh humidity is important but if you’re having issues even after spraying I’d just build a large humid hide. He’ll sleep in it and get all the humidity he could need for healthy sheds
I’m new and I would like to confirm basking temp cooler end temp and humidity level I have a juvenile. And I’ll only ask 1 time!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602