• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

thinking of getting a water or argus monitor

G

im thinking of trading or selling my columbian and getting on of these.anyone have any advice on getting one of these?and about how hard it would be to tame one of em?

skippy

5 Year Member
you have 2 completely different species there, besides being varanids they don't have much in common-size, personality, activity level, husbandry.

perhaps if you detailed what you were looking for in a monitor we could be more helpful.

G

Yeah dude these guys are one like two totally opposite ends of the poles. For example, size and temperment. Water monitor can get upwards of 7 1/2 feet long and I've heard of ones getting 8+ ft long. However, these have been known to be one of the most dog tame, laid back monitors out there if you put in the time. And then there's these argus monitor. These guys average around 4-4 1/2 ft (males might get a little bigger), which seems like a much more managable size, but these guys are extremely active and "tame" argus are few, however a good portion do become handleable.

G

i want a monitor that gets big enough to let out in the house without worrying about it getting in little crack and never seeing it again.and walking it around the yard and stuff.i want it to be able to tame down within a year too.i want more of a water monitor.i like monitors with a good feeding responce too.

G

o and do water monitors take off at the slightest hint of youe being there?like everything else?and one more thing,why does everyone use the latin name?

G

They're just as skidish and darty as babies as any other monitor but they are the easiest to get accustomed to you. They get tamer as they get older so don't give up after just a couple months. Also dont be to invasive too fast. Let it get comfortable with you being around it first. Then start putting just your arm in the tank, then start touching it, and keep going at this gradual pace. What did you have in mind for an adult enclosure?

skippy

5 Year Member
for an adult water monitor you will need an enclosure that is 10' by 4' at a bare minimum with a tub large enough to soak in as well. honestly it's better if you devote a whole room to it or have an outside enclosure if you live in a suitable climate. once it reaches adult size it won't be as flighty as a juvie but it's still a good idea to keep it on a leash if you take it out(they can get spooked sometimes)

people use the latin name because it's more accurate than common names, some monitors may have the same or similar common names but each species has it's own scientific name.

G

hmm needs to be really long huh? how long does it take for em to grow?yeah everywhere i look it says they get real tame as they get older.ahh i see i do a few variations of water monitors.is there a diff between asian and regulat water monitors?

skippy

5 Year Member
And that's the reason for the Latin ;) varanus salvator is the one you're thinking of probably.

A monitor will grow quickly especially if you feed it right, I had an albig that grew 3 feet in a little more than a year.

G

would any of you know where i can get one without having to take out a loan to get one?or preferably a trade?

skippy

5 Year Member
You can get a baby water monitor almost anywhere for $150 or less, a juvie for under $300. They're not too expensive.

G

I had a asian water monitor, it must have had parasites it didnt last too long. it was skiddish but i had it calmed down within a few days, reminds me alot of my extreme giant tegu i got from bobby hill, same temprament as my tegu. asian water monitors are the best of all the monitors !!! some day i may just get another one. I still get upset when i think about mine :( poor little guy. i brought him to the vet but he just didnt make it.

G

ok so iv decided that im going to get a savanah,my fiance pointed out that if we wanted to make a baby anytime soon a water monitor wouldent be a good idea.and i read all over that savys can become very docile.any info on savys would be greatly apreciated.=]

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you are looking at savys try looking into a black throat. I have heard good things about them claming down and there are some CB ones on the market making them less likly to have parisites and unless stressed from importing.

Warning with Savys almost all are imports and arrive at stores dehydrated and having a good about of parisites. Unless you are dead set on getting a hatchling go with an older animal that has been in captivity longer.

skippy

5 Year Member
A black throat will easily top 6 feet if taken care of properly while a sav will only reach 4 at the most. Both will tame down pretty easily(some individuals will be more or less amenable depending on personality though) but the sav will grow slowly and likely top out around3-3.5 feet. I would shop around on kingsnake.com for a LTC sav if I were you unless you have a quality pet store around that you can pick out a healthy one at.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam