1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

The Teenage Phase

Discussion in 'Black and White Tegu Discussion' started by WaterRaven, Jul 12, 2018.

1. WaterRaven

WaterRaven New Member

Hey Everyone :)

I'm new to the forum, but I've been a long time herp lover, animal handler, and trainer. I have worked with a number of reptiles through wildlife rehab and later as an animal educator for a not for profit. I had the pleasure of working with two black and white Argentine tegus, one red tegu, and even an Asian water monitor, so naturally, when I was ready, I bought my own tegu :D Her name is Tabucca and she's a beautiful BWA.

Tabucca is settling in nicely, eating, and pooping well. She's active and I see our bond growing daily, however, I have only previously worked with adult tegus and had some questions about this teenage phase I've been hearing about.

Clint from Clint's Reptiles on Youtube mentioned it and I have seen or heard about it in a couple other places. I was wondering what age they generally go through that phase so I can be ready for it and wanted to know if your tegus went through it and what experiences you had.

Thank you so much!
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Mine were just under one year old when I gokt them. If teenage years happened in ny care, I didn't notice.
  3. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

Alpha is just over 1 now and I've not seen any change in him yet or had to deal with anything out the ordinary ...:)
  4. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

I’ve has sev for a year now, got him as a hatchling now out of the norm some moodiness here and there but he’s always been that way. I’ve heard it called terrible twos as the males become sexually mature but haven’t witnessed it first hand.
  5. Gary

Gary Member

I’m sure others do as well, but I handle my tegu very often. I noticed a distinct change around 9 months that has mellowed a bit as we’re approaching the year mark. He became much more territorial of his hide and less tolerant of handling. I decided just to respect these new boundaries. I’m sure he’ll get to the point within 6 months where things go back to normal, but I definitely have a moody teenager right now
  6. WaterRaven

WaterRaven New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Her previous owner said she was a year in June and said Tabucca's never even hissed at her, so I guess that's good news. She's been very receptive of me and I'm seeing new things daily as she gets more comfortable with me.

I can't seem to find anything through google that could give me an age-range of what would be considered "teenage." Because they live longer than say a dog, I wasn't sure how to guess at what age they'd be considered a teenager exactly.
  7. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

I'd personally say like any animal or child they will keep testing subtle boundaries through their lives as they grow, It just depends how big a balls they got (I'm not talking in the literal sence) ....haha
  8. nightanole

nightanole New Member

Id say its the terrible two's, as in 2 pounds. if the tongue is out, have fun, if the tongue is not out, watch your hands.