• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

thats it, time to break it up your both on time out lol

kellen.watkins

I moved my tegus in together about a week ago and they have been together before and did fine and they were fine when I moved them into a 8x4 together but eli has been acting aggressive when someone gets near the tank (I spy on him thru a vent hole and he is fine when no people are present) and by aggressive I mean jowel popping snake tail arched back constantly so I've been keeping an eye on both of them my roommate has been watching them as well even though vanilla is bigger I've been suspicious of him, anyways this morning vanilla went to bask and I saw eli dart across the tank out of nowhere and punk her out of the basking spot, and by darting I mean he was bookin it lol so I'm emptying out the substrate and sawing my tank in half so each one can have a 4x4 I'm glad I made my tank to where I can do this in a couple hours and can reattach the tank to an 8x4 later when needed. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you plan on housing tegus together expect the best but plan for the worst :)

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I know JUST how you feel, man. I built this SWEET 8x3 cage for Aesop and Francis and Aesop is a JERK to Francis. I mean, they can't even free-roam together without Aesop flexing on her. Really annoying. Nice idea on the two cage idea. I built my cage in two pieces as well, with identical light fixtures / sliding doors and could probably do the same. Might just have to do that if I don't sell them.

kellen.watkins

So I took vanilla out 1st cause she is pretty chill and killed the lights to chill the enclosure to get eli out figured he would be a lot more calm... WRONG!!! Lol I never thought a 22" lizard could be so intimidating lol after trying for 5 minutes and almost getting bit in the face a couple times I threw a shirt in there after 20 minutes he fell for it and hid in the shirt and picked him up gently then he squirmed out of the shirt and bit my forearm and wouldn't let go lol little prick, but I got one of the seperate enclosures set up and put him in and forgot to get the switch for the lights. So I put on a sweater and gloves and went in (the light is in the back) and NOTHING! He didn't flinch now he is all calm. I don't know if he just didn't like all the space or if he doesn't like vanilla I'm confused lol

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow, well good to know he's calmed down. Keep him in there until you think he's ready to move again. I'd work with him while he's in his old enclosure until he's all tame. Keep us posted bud

kellen.watkins

he's in the new encloosure just split in half, he's in the bottom one chillin and basking :) and for the heck of it I measured vanilla and took a pic of her next to a 360 controller for reference waiting for eli to fall for the old hide under the shirt trick lol

Attachments

• 2011-10-20 16.11.23.jpg
    2011-10-20 16.11.23.jpg
    849.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2011-10-20 10.23.03.jpg
    2011-10-20 10.23.03.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I'm guessing all of that aggression is rooted in his new roommate. Some tegus just DO NOT dig other tegus and it stresses them out. It sucks, especially when you see all these other pictures of people and their multiple tegus just hanging out, playing monopoly together.

new2tegus

I don't have any other tegus yet, and I'm pretty sure mine is hibernating, if not for getting him up yesterday so he could go to the bathroom he would've been down about 10 days or so. Sadly I couldn't put my tegu with my other lizard, think the little beardie would be on the menu :(.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744