• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Temperature question

TheScubaDude

I am a new member on here and am certainly a victim of a little information being a dangerous thing. Through local advice and chatting with vendors at our local Repticon shows, I have built an outdoor enclosure for my baby. As I read more I am seeing recommendations for a rather wide variance for the temperatures from warm and cool side of Tegu's home. Since my cage is an outdoor house in Florida there is not much chance of a 70 degree cool side. He does get that in the evening and obviously high humidity with out typical afternoon rains. Any comments, advice or ideas is extremely welcome.
(I am building a hide / shade shelf for the cage due to earlier suggestion from a member)

He certainly seems to love it, but I welcome all input because want the best for my babies.
I am building the same type enclosures for my Iguanas.

IMG_0994.jpg

Zyn

Most of the captive breed Tegus are housed outside in Florida. The cool nights are right where he needs it with a hide like you’re building and maybe some deeper substrate, so if he does get a little hot he can Borrow in and cooldown in the shaded area. Just be ready to upgrade soon he’ll out grow that before you know it. If you watch any of ty herps or underground reptiles feeding videos you can see the size of their outdoor enclosures. I believe Ty’s are 8ftx 6ft and under ground goes with a wide 6ftx6ft

grapebasil

Like Zyn said, as long as you’re getting some temperature gradient throughout the day, and as long as he has a little shady spot to thermoregulate in, Florida is clearly a place where Tegus thrive lmao so I’d just watch temps and bring him inside if it gets super hot.

grapebasil

Might throw in a tub of water and keep it changed out with cool water during the middle of the day so he can take a dip if need be.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Like Zyn said, as long as you’re getting some temperature gradient throughout the day, and as long as he has a little shady spot to thermoregulate in, Florida is clearly a place where Tegus thrive lmao so I’d just watch temps and bring him inside if it gets super hot.
Along that line, tegus are very well-established in southern and central Florida wherethey are horribly destructive to native vertebrates.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello......I'd put in a large flat rock or tile to attract the heat and create a proper basking spot too....looks gret though just a little conserned on size also like others have mentioned.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam