• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus and Beer?

HelpfulHope

Yesterday I had my male purple tegu out for some socialization with 2 of my friends, and bizarrely he became very curious about my bottle of beer, even going so far as to snap at the neck of the bottle.
I know it's bad news to give alcohol to your tegu, so I'm not about to give him any beer, but it did get me thinking about the leafy plant hops.
Generally it's bad to give citrus fruit to your tegu, but hops only have a citrusy smell and are not part of that family a fruit.
Does anyone know if it's okay to feed hops to their Tegu?

* Humulus lupulus, or hops, are a budding plant in the Cannabis family, are not what makes beer alcoholic. They're are flavoring agent added to most commercial beers, most notably IPAs, giving the drink a citrusy note.

Sean32817

I can't find hops listed as a do or don't on any tegu food lists but looking them up on their own, they don't really offer anything in the way of nutritional value.

Tegu are very curious and tend to explore new things with their mouths rather than handling with their feet like we do with our hands, so his interest in the beer bottle was likely due to it being something new and him being curious or possibly him mistaking it for something else, like when my wife's bearded dragon mistook my black, titanium ring for a blueberry and kept trying to eat it off my finger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980