• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu wound

Largelizards

My tegu got a nick on top of his head. I rinsed and applied triple Antibiotic. Other than continually rinsing and reapplying over the next few days, is there anything else I could be doing. Thanks in advance
986F2820-C1AA-4F5D-AC52-AC875D75B330.jpeg

rantology

Same protocol you yourself would use for a small wound. Keep it clean, keep an eye on it and leave it be. Can use a dab of Betadine or Neosporin (without painkillers) for antiseptic. It's small enough it shouldn't cause him any issues. Swelling or discoloration would be red flags. Try and see if there is any hazards in his enclosure that could have caused it and address them if you can.

Largelizards

Same protocol you yourself would use for a small wound. Keep it clean, keep an eye on it and leave it be. Can use a dab of Betadine or Neosporin (without painkillers) for antiseptic. It's small enough it shouldn't cause him any issues. Swelling or discoloration would be red flags. Try and see if there is any hazards in his enclosure that could have caused it and address them if you can.
Thank you for your response; I am using generic Neosporin (w/out pain-killer) and I’m on the same page as you. Issues have been addressed with root cause and I will definitely be on the lookout for those signs you mentioned. You answered my question well. What I should of asked was, how should I go about keeping it clean, to administer proper wound care when his enclosure is filled with mulch, eco earth, and sphagnum peat moss that he burrows in? Is the only answer to do a strict substrate free quarantine, and empty enclosure?

rantology

Thank you for your response; I am using generic Neosporin (w/out pain-killer) and I’m on the same page as you. Issues have been addressed with root cause and I will definitely be on the lookout for those signs you mentioned. You answered my question well. What I should of asked was, how should I go about keeping it clean, to administer proper wound care when his enclosure is filled with mulch, eco earth, and sphagnum peat moss that he burrows in? Is the only answer to do a strict substrate free quarantine, and empty enclosure?

I don't think that is necessary for a light wound like that... from the picture it looks like it was just the scale that got torn off somehow, but no lacerations or damage to the underlying tissue - Tegus sustain wounds in the wild and regularly get dirt and all kinds of things in them. Hell, I do too on my own cuts and scrapes :p I think you'd be fine with a little spraybottle of water, spritz it out once a day to clear the dirt/grime and then apply the antiseptics.

Largelizards

I don't think that is necessary for a light wound like that... from the picture it looks like it was just the scale that got torn off somehow, but no lacerations or damage to the underlying tissue - Tegus sustain wounds in the wild and regularly get dirt and all kinds of things in them. Hell, I do too on my own cuts and scrapes :p I think you'd be fine with a little spraybottle of water, spritz it out once a day to clear the dirt/grime and then apply the antiseptics.
Ok, thanks for the reassurance! We appreciate it
82AB4DC3-990E-4967-AF27-EE597F4CE0D3.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced