• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu sudden aggression

firfy

I dont know what has been going on lately, my female blue tegu will try to bite me no matter what! Today she bit my hand two times and yesterday she bit me once. I never pulled away to show im scared of her mouth and she cant be associating me with food because I feed her in a separate bin and she never even sees me put the food in there. So what can be going on? None of the bites have been aggressively. Yesterday she bit me in her cage and I never feed her in there! Any help will be appreciated!

Update: she was biting as much as she could even with the glove on then I put her back in the enclosure and she was fine. Any ideas on why she was biting me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shacky

Have u tryid to push her away, just a little push and talk to her at the same time. Mine has also been test-biting the last days. I did this and it seemed to help, like he knows it's me now:)

Merlot

When mine does this I definitely talk to him and I ball my fist up and put my fist towards his mouth and keep it there so even if her bites (which he hasn’t but tried a couple minor times) then he kind of gets confused and backs up, looks at me and my fist and all is fine. Then I lay my hand down on the soil to let him smell me and walk up to me. Don’t pick him up first time he/she comes up to you, let your gu get more familiar. Also, I would check that your feeding enough. Mine was going through big growth spurt and I had to increase food intake and the aggression pretty much went away totally

firfy

Yea mine is a bit weird in that you have to offer her food more then once to know for sure if she is full or not, if I just offer her food once and she doesnt take then I have to offer it later then she probably will take it. Also when I push her away she just gets more mad at me this was her a couple of days ago
c8c2e6414043a8d4d7daac70b3595291.jpg

As you can see completely tame and even is sitting on me

Merlot

To be honest the gu looks good, yeah just keep up the persistence with ensuring the Gu is fed enough. When mine would get a little cage aggressive I would still take him out for some social time and a bath before feeding. It’s the cage part when they usually show that aggression. Once out they’re good. YMMV

What a beaut tho!

firfy

She doesnt attack me in her cage, besides the one time she test bit me, when she was out she went crazy on me and just circled me trying to bite, I let her out and interact with her everyday I dont know what is wrong

Merlot

Damn well make sure you don’t smell like food and put some old T-shirt’s in the cage to get your scent constantly familiar. Man that must’ve been a little scary with a strong tegu circling you trying to size you up

firfy

Yea the worst part is she was NEVER like this before for the almost 2 years I have had her also right after she was biting me and circling me I pit her back then took her out again and she was her normal self

firfy

Also she was going through shed that might have something to do with it

Merlot

Very strange. But I could see that with growing and all the hormones possibly coming with the shed. But when mine sheds I give a nice bath to help peel the feet and tail but lately with all the cod liver oil I have been giving him I barely need to assist in shedding at all. But he would be very calm when I do it like he knows what I’m doing. Just the very very tip of tail sometimes. The feet even come off as nice full paws of shed, pretty cute lol

firfy

Yea I gave her a bath yesterday! I hope that this was only a one time thing!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In the past, I've yelled NO and had a squirt bottle of cold water.

Just puzzling why this behavior is happening now

firfy

Yep no idea, she was completely tame before all this happened the humidity has been a little tough to keep up though as my room is really dry and hot, she is currently in shed too, she might just be a little grumpy because she was in shed and it is not coming off as fast as it was suppose to, but I dont know for sure

Merlot

How old is your tegu? Seems like it’s approaching or approached sexual maturity based off that size? I saw your pic were she almost snapped at you again? Maybe there are som eggs under the substrate? Just pissing in the wind on ideas

Merlot

I too like the “NO” method and I got a big a$$ adjustable pressure mister bottle if Blaze is feeling froggy when I open the enclosure I hit him with the water and I make a fist so he doesn’t possibly think my fingers are food. Then I rest my fist there next to my gu and then he will walk all calmly past it

firfy

She is definitely passed that stage she is also 40” long she is almost 2 years old

firfy

I remember going through this when she was like 1.5 yrs old but you may be right so i will keep that in mind too!! Thanks!!

firfy

Update: yesterday she never even tried to bite me and was sitting on me again and being all nice again!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced