1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!
    Dismiss Notice

Tegu substrate

Discussion in 'General Tegu Discussion' started by nicolesciria, Feb 16, 2020.

1. nicolesciria

nicolesciria New Member

Just wondering what everyone uses for their tegus substrates ? I’ve tried coco fiber with organic top soil and this last time cypress mulch.. just want to see what people have had good luck with, I am not a huge fan of the cypress after this last time and my tegu is due for a substrate change this week
  2. TripleTegus

TripleTegus Active Member

Outta curiosity why didn't you like the cypress mulch?
  3. bsshig40

bsshig40 Member

I'd like to know also. I like the cypress mulch. It holds moisture very well. I usually stir it around with my hands every once in a while. Its always moist underneath the top layer and helps the humidity.
  4. BucknerCrestExotics

BucknerCrestExotics New Member

I live on the water in Puget sound of Washington state. Every thing here is damp. Cypress mulch for me molds quickly and i had to switch my blue tongued skinks to aspen so when I got tegus it was just natural for me to put them on aspen as well. I know its different for everyone and every location but for me its easier for me to add humidity then to try to dry it out of my substrates. I do not have mold issues or shed issues with my tegus or skinks.
    bsshig40 likes this.
  5. TripleTegus

TripleTegus Active Member

Hey whatever works for you. We live in Florida so the humidity gets pretty high in the summer but will drop to like 40% or so in winter. I've never had an issue with mold on the cypress mulch itself but if I leave a piece of fecal matter behind by accident it will definitely mold. But like you said to each his own. There's more than one way to skin a cat so to speak
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    BucknerCrestExotics likes this.
  6. Debita

Debita Active Member

I'm in the mountains in AZ where there's no humidity for the most part. We have a monsoon season that changes that, but it's temporary. I used the coco fiber early on but felt that they were consuming it too easily. That stuff sticks to everything. And for me, I won't use top soil because it's just too dirty and dusty! Lol...Went back to that wonderfully expensive Repti-bark where their food doesn't pick it up as much.

Also - I don't think they need all the inches of substrate thickness if you have good hides - once I gave my buddies the hides they could claim, they stopped digging. They're happy to just be protected, and they naturally relax in their hide instead of dig to hide themselves.