• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu size after first hibernation

Monkey Girl

Hi everyone,

We received our male yearling 3 days ago. He just came out of his first hibernation prior to being shipped to us. I managed a few pics and handled him a little prior to him going into "hiding." Right now he does not want to come out. He either burrows under his substrate or he stays in his hide box. Hopefully at some point he will come up to the surface and we can begin building a relationship with this little guy.

But what my actual question is, this guy seems a little larger then what I expected. I thought Chacoan yearlings measure anywhere from 11" - 19" in size? I measured our tegu at 28" I measured three times to be sure I was correct, and yes, he's 28". So, the only thing I can think of is perhaps I measured him wrong? I measured tip of nose to tip of tail, is this the correct way to measure?

Is my tegu within the correct growth size?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 54

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Nice looking guy you have there. :)

I am terrible at guessing ages and sizes, but he seems all right to me. Some tegus just grow fast. Also waking up from hybernation is not the same as waking up to bask for a day. A tegu can wake up, go around and get a drink, bask, and then go back to sleep again. Just because he is acually phisicaly "awake" doesnt mean he is awake from hybernation. In order to wake up from hybernation, he needs to be awake and basking every day for maybe two weeks straight. Its up to your tegu to decide when to wake up. Try not to worry about him.

glk832

5 Year Member
My red female did the same prolly trying to get acclimated to his new surrounding.. As far as his size goes I think no matter what they vary my 9 month old red was 17' when I got her.. All about the care they are receiving..

SamBobCat

I'm new here, and so I'll probably get this wrong, but I read online that the chacoans especially get big fast. A hatchling should be from 9-14 inches, but a yearling I would assume be quite a bit bigger. So I think that your tegu is the right size for his age. He is really beautiful by the way!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744