• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu randomly freaks out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a female b/w, she's about a year old, wild caught. Lately she's been just having random moments where she'll just spaz out and dart off with little to no explanation (everyone is sitting just chilling and she'll just start acting weird and scared/antisocial). So I was bringing her food once and I opened her enclosure and bend down to pick up the plate and she darts out of there and is roaming around for 3 days, I find her in my laundry room she doesn't resist and that's that... the very next day my girlfriend was spending time with her and she just decides it's time to run away for no reason and this time she hid away and it took 2 weeks to find her. How can I bond with her still while she's acting like this? I don't want her to keep running away roaming in the house, but I definitely want to spend time with her and she loves to come out of her enclosure. We had an established relationship and she'll still climb up on me and seek me out, but now I feel like I can't trust her. I can't take her out for 10 minutes a day before she starts acting sketchy, where she used to be out for like 2 or 3 hours happily Any ideas? Recommendations? Maybe this is just guberty?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would continue to be patient with her and keep working with her. Put her back when she's over it. The next day try it for a little bit longer. Rinse and repeat.

Glostik Willy

I have a female b/w, she's about a year old, wild caught. Lately she's been just having random moments where she'll just spaz out and dart off with little to no explanation (everyone is sitting just chilling and she'll just start acting weird and scared/antisocial). So I was bringing her food once and I opened her enclosure and bend down to pick up the plate and she darts out of there and is roaming around for 3 days, I find her in my laundry room she doesn't resist and that's that... the very next day my girlfriend was spending time with her and she just decides it's time to run away for no reason and this time she hid away and it took 2 weeks to find her. How can I bond with her still while she's acting like this? I don't want her to keep running away roaming in the house, but I definitely want to spend time with her and she loves to come out of her enclosure. We had an established relationship and she'll still climb up on me and seek me out, but now I feel like I can't trust her. I can't take her out for 10 minutes a day before she starts acting sketchy, where she used to be out for like 2 or 3 hours happily Any ideas? Recommendations? Maybe this is just guberty?
Why would you buy a wild caught tgat juts ruins the pet trade and make rep tiles extinct smfh

Why would you buy a wild caught tgat juts ruins the pet trade and make rep tiles extinct
Please explain how buying a wild caught tegu would "ruin the pet trade and make reptiles go extinct"? That make no sense, so I'm going to assume you're just trolling. But just to put your little mind at ease it was advertised as a captive bred baby tegu, the seller lied. It was a dehydrated and malnourished, wild caught, 6 months old (at least) tegu. Anyway try not to sound so judgmental next time, it makes you sound like an idiot. There are plenty of reasons why someone might have a wild caught tegu. I could've caught it myself for all you know, please don't try to sound like such a condescending know it all.

LizardStudent

Why would you buy a wild caught tgat juts ruins the pet trade and make rep tiles extinct smfh
There are several operations that capture the wild tegus in Florida that are non-native invasive species in the area and attempt to rehabilitate them to then re- sell as pets. Helps lower the overall number of invasive species in the US and you could argue it accounts for one less breeding program in an already oversaturated pet trade where tegus can end up being quickly bred to sell for money with no regards to health or the homes they go to. I suggest you do some research on the matter before making such quick assumptions about others choices

Glostik Willy

There are several operations that capture the wild tegus in Florida that are non-native invasive species in the area and attempt to rehabilitate them to then re- sell as pets. Helps lower the overall number of invasive species in the US and you could argue it accounts for one less breeding program in an already oversaturated pet trade where tegus can end up being quickly bred to sell for money with no regards to health or the homes they go to. I suggest you do some research on the matter before making such quick assumptions about others choices
When they capture them in Florida they put them down I have friends that do it and they are not allowed to keep them.

LizardStudent

When they capture them in Florida they put them down I have friends that do it and they are not allowed to keep them.
Rodney from Tegus Only is a licensed wildlife trapper in Florida and does what I've described, rehabilitating and selling off the wild caught Florida tegus he works with. There are easily over a dozen threads on this site discussing Rodney's practices and different buyers experiences with him. Again; I would do some research before making such sweeping comments. It is not that difficult to search this forum

Glostik Willy

Rodney from Tegus Only is a licensed wildlife trapper in Florida and does what I've described, rehabilitating and selling off the wild caught Florida tegus he works with. There are easily over a dozen threads on this site discussing Rodney's practices and different buyers experiences with him. Again; I would do some research before making such sweeping comments. It is not that difficult to search this forum
Lmfao I am an idiot

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602