• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu proofing my back yard

Edward Lotz

I want to make my backyard Tegu safe so do I need to extend the fence below the surface to keep one from digging out? I currently have a 6’ privacy fence but since they like to dig not sure if I need to excape proof the fence further? Any other things you need to do?
Thanks

RomanPort

I've never done this myself, but I think they'll definitely try and dig under it. I'd extend it pretty far underground. The biggest thing is probably keeping an eye on them while they're outside.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'd be completely paranoid to do this... They are powerful diggers with strong noses always rooting and nudging to see where weaknesses are. Let us know how it goes!

Dstrait

5 Year Member
I Tegu proofed my back yard. We have a decrepit wood fence which I repaired and modified. Some areas I installed a horizontal 2x6 board flush with the ground. This was joined to a equal or larger board to form a 90 degree angle joint along to bottom of the fence. I hoped Blizzard would attempt to dig in the joint rather than under the base.
It seems to have worked except where an irrigation hose went under the base with a little tunnel. Blizzard dug it out and got under our deck. I filled her tunnel with tight fitting large rocks.

Dstrait

5 Year Member
IMG_20190512_143959696.jpg
This seems to deter digging out, without building a new fence. It's treated lumber, screwed together. The older vertical fence planks had rotted at their bottoms. They were screwed above the rot to the large board.
It's still a shambles, but we have contained the beast for more than than a year until the neighbors and I can get a new fence.
Soil hardness should be critical for digging deterrents. If your baby can dig long tunnels you may need something more substantial.

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very interesting. The tegu goes to the junction of the boards and not under the horizontal board.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam