• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu lost trust?

Mikeiam

Hey I’ve had my tegu for going on two months now she is about 7 to eight months old and she was starting to let me hold her and not being jumpy with me when I let her roam my room , well out of no where she’s super jumpy with me and it’s like she lost the trust I built with her ? Her appetite is the same she still eats good and isn’t snapping at me just jumpy like when I first got her , I heard somthing about tegu puberty but I’m not sure if this is like the begging of it or what any advice will help .

Attachments

• 727080EC-A25E-456C-9506-8B299E0AC939.jpeg
    727080EC-A25E-456C-9506-8B299E0AC939.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hey I’ve had my tegu for going on two months now she is about 7 to eight months old and she was starting to let me hold her and not being jumpy with me when I let her roam my room , well out of no where she’s super jumpy with me and it’s like she lost the trust I built with her ? Her appetite is the same she still eats good and isn’t snapping at me just jumpy like when I first got her , I heard somthing about tegu puberty but I’m not sure if this is like the begging of it or what any advice will help .

Cute picture! And I'm a believer of Tegu puberty. But, if you've only had her for 2 months, it's possible that she's claimed her space and wants you to know. It passes when she's hungry, and realizes you're not a threat. Each animal is different, and so is the timing of their settling in. I have a 2 yr old now, but he was difficult. After about 10 months, he finally accepted me, and I was not apprehensive to go into his home. Then, a year and a half in, I decided to treat him to a warm day outside (first time) in a different enclosure, and he turned on me. I couldn't get him back out of the new area....Jumping at me, hissing, spitting - the whole 9 yards. He loved being outside. We had to come up with some shenanigans to get him back to his home. Cold nights were on the way. So - there's puberty but there's also territoriality. They will never stop thinking they're in charge.

Life with Tegus.

Mikeiam

Thanks for the reply’s she seems to be being better I think it is just a phase she just hit another shed , and has been coming out to my hands to get out the cage everyday around the same time lol, she likes her roam time

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the reply’s she seems to be being better I think it is just a phase she just hit another shed , and has been coming out to my hands to get out the cage everyday around the same time lol, she likes her roam time

That makes sense - they seem a little crabby to me when they're shedding. Don't forget they like a good soak! :D

Mikeiam

Yes I’m gonna be giving her one today I usually let her shed her body and hands because she never has a problem with that it’s just her tail always seems to be last so I give her a soak once that’s all that’s left and it seems to work , also good for water tameing her

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980