• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu hates enclosure

Keiko_Blue

Hello! Unfortunately, my tegu always wants out of his enclosure. The enclosure opens from the top, so he will try to jump up at it to get out. I want him to not mind being in there, but in a way, I feel like I spoiled him from being out all the time. Is there any way I can try to get him to enjoy being in there? Sometimes, ill hide fruits in there for him to look for so he will be busy, but once he eats them, he still wants out. (I usually feed him outside the enclosure, so the little hidden fruits haven't caused cage aggression luckily.. I just want him distracted)

Attachments

• C88524A8-288B-4D77-805B-398C6D5E74C5.jpeg
    C88524A8-288B-4D77-805B-398C6D5E74C5.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 0780E175-61A8-475E-A7F7-8407928D8126.jpeg
    0780E175-61A8-475E-A7F7-8407928D8126.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 5C8C974E-58B6-4056-8720-F4FA9F6B961E.jpeg
    5C8C974E-58B6-4056-8720-F4FA9F6B961E.jpeg
    683 KB · Views: 39

Keiko_Blue

I made a post about this awhile back. I tried the methods of covering 2/3s of the chicken wire, but that one spot the lamp sits on (that is uncovered) he lunges for. Luckily hes not hurting himself as much as before, but does still try. I know I was suggested to get an enclosure with side openings.. which at this point might be my best shot. Though, I still think that he wont like being in there no matter what.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
:eek::eek::eek: 8ft should be fine........ looks like I'm no help:D:D

Hormones/puberty maybe and escaping to find a lady.

Dylan koch

I'm in same boat mine literally just love being out of their encloser. But when out are always hanging out with me in the yard! Also cover that light asap with chicken wire. That was only exposed part and I had 6 or 7 bricks holding lamp in place. I changed it after one night I woke up at 3 am n was all oh I forgot to turn tegu lights off. I come outside walkin into garage to go in room attached to garage which is tegu room and smell smoke and burning wood. Long story short ny blue tegu male and female pushed bricks and light off and landed on a piece of plywood and was red hot smoking and embers my male blue ice 100% het was out on floor and new he messed up n tried to hide I put him back in cage. Female who's my angel knew she messed up and had stayed on top of cage sleeping. Shes my sweet heart tho. Will go dig in yard and always comes back to mr climbs up chair on lap for cuddles and pets

Hello! Unfortunately, my tegu always wants out of his enclosure. The enclosure opens from the top, so he will try to jump up at it to get out. I want him to not mind being in there, but in a way, I feel like I spoiled him from being out all the time. Is there any way I can try to get him to enjoy being in there? Sometimes, ill hide fruits in there for him to look for so he will be busy, but once he eats them, he still wants out. (I usually feed him outside the enclosure, so the little hidden fruits haven't caused cage aggression luckily.. I just want him distracted)

Keiko_Blue

I'm in same boat mine literally just love being out of their encloser. But when out are always hanging out with me in the yard! Also cover that light asap with chicken wire. That was only exposed part and I had 6 or 7 bricks holding lamp in place. I changed it after one night I woke up at 3 am n was all oh I forgot to turn tegu lights off. I come outside walkin into garage to go in room attached to garage which is tegu room and smell smoke and burning wood. Long story short ny blue tegu male and female pushed bricks and light off and landed on a piece of plywood and was red hot smoking and embers my male blue ice 100% het was out on floor and new he messed up n tried to hide I put him back in cage. Female who's my angel knew she messed up and had stayed on top of cage sleeping. Shes my sweet heart tho. Will go dig in yard and always comes back to mr climbs up chair on lap for cuddles and pets
Oh gosh Im sorry that happened. The light is sitting on top of the chicken wire lid, sorry if I didn’t explain it right. So I covered 2/3 of the lid with tarp so he wont jump up and hurt his nose, but the exposed chicken wire where the lamp sits on top of is where he still jumps to get out. Im considering getting an enclosure that opens from the front, but Im worried he will just hate the enclosure no matter what kind it is.

rats

5 Year Member
I'm in same boat mine literally just love being out of their enclosure. But when out are always hanging out with me in the yard! Also cover that light asap with chicken wire. That was only exposed part and I had 6 or 7 bricks holding lamp in place. I changed it after one night I woke up at 3 am n was all oh I forgot to turn tegu lights off. I come outside walkin into garage to go in room attached to garage which is tegu room and smell smoke and burning wood. Long story short my blue tegu male and female pushed bricks and light off and landed on a piece of plywood and was red hot smoking and embers my male blue ice 100% het was out on floor and knew he messed up n tried to hide I put him back in cage. Female who's my angel knew she messed up and had stayed on top of cage sleeping. Shes my sweet heart tho. Will go dig in yard and always comes back to me climbs up chair on lap for cuddles and pets

You're so lucky you caught the smoking embers before they became a fire. Glad everyone was safe!

I suggest putting the lamp on an external (to cage) lamp stand and weight the base down so it's less likely to get knocked over and burn again....

Keiko_Blue

UPDATE! Ive decided to create a side door on his enclosure now so I can stop bringing him out from the top! Im hoping this will help with the jumping. I am also going to close off the hiding space under his enclosure because when I have him out, I want him to hang out with me and not want to hide instead. Hopefully this will help with our trust bond!

battyrubble

5 Year Member

he definitely outgrew his enclosure, ours is about the same size and his enclosure is on its side so he’s not being picked up but rather climbers out and goes back inbecause it’s his safe place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny