• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu hasn't pooped in a while, then went into hibernation, should I be worried?

Talon1992

5 Year Member
So the past few months my tegu has been feeding pretty heavily on thawed small rats, grapes, melon, and to a lesser extent roaches ( hissing and dubia). The primary source of protein has been the small rats. In the months prior to that, the primary source of protein was ground turkey ( mixed with calcium powder) as well as the roaches. What worries me, is that before he wen under, it was AT LEAST a week or two before he pooped. I heard that if that's the case there's a risk of it going septic while hes in hibernation. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any recommended course of action? As it stands, I have just left him be. I will only dig him up if I absolutely HAVE too.

Zyn

It won't bother him that much to dig him up and give him a warm bath and coax out whatever is left.
It's better than a slow death from decaying food in his gut.

Talon1992

5 Year Member
so I took him out and soaked him for a while but he didnt use the restroom, and he went right back under. should i be worried?

Zyn

I mean he won't kill him self so just keep the heat up and his basking spot on during the normal hours if he needs to bask he will

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam