• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu growing slow and eating "less" amounts

Joshua Wu

So my tegu has been around for 1 and a half year, he has a halogen lamp, a stone slab(50+ celcius), and the hottest spot in the enclosure is 60celcius. he has room to move and humidity is ALWAYS 80% and higher because of where i am located geographically. He has always eaten a lot less than the average tegu i see online and in sanctuauries. He is also growing a lot slower than the average. He was diagnosed with parasites in around may and was also treated, almost immidietely afterwards he started eating more and growing faster... for a few months, bytut now he is eating a lot less, almost once every 2-3 days. I feed him a lot of food, ive tried everything, and he is quite picky, he enjoys beef and chicken, but his favorite is mice, i feed him 2 days of turkey/chicken/beef/haert, and then a mice on the third.
I feed him mice more than recommended because its the only thing that i have noticed to cause him to grow. He is around 50cm including the tail, and his cage is around 150cm wide. this isnt too big, and big cages are not a possibility for me, so i will have to move him the balcony, but it is not fit for a small tegu. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Ive made around 50+ posts everywhere and i dont get any help, i have always been asked about my temps and humidities etc etc, and then left on read.
Here is his growth progress. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15m6EYbPgs4FW_govV8KRcUiD4D_RfXCWQOBnPoh1FjQ/edit?usp=sharing
And some pics attached below. thanks :)

October 5 - 55 grams
October 14 - 62 grams
October 23 - 64grams
October 27 -65 grams
Nov 13 - 79 grams
Nov 28 - 80 grams
Feb 24 - 158 grams
March 29 - 250 grams
June 13 - 264 grams
July 19 - 310 grams
July 22 - 324 grams
July 29 - 368 grams
Aug 25 - 450 grams
Sep 22 - 484 grams(recorded right after eating - not accurate)

Attachments

• img 3.JPG
    img 3.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 29

Dylan koch

Wow hes small for his age but is probably due to stunted growth from parasites. Did you test that he fully got rid of them? Also I feed my tegus every 2 to 3 days and have noticed 3 of the 4 eating less currently mine are all a year to year and half and all currently 3 to little over 3 and half feet I have 4. 2 reds and 1 pure blue female 100%het and a blue ice 100%het male. My reds I know 1 for sure is a male still unsure bout the other red. Cant feel hemipiens when doing the tail feel but male 100% can feel his.

Joshua Wu

Wow hes small for his age but is probably due to stunted growth from parasites. Did you test that he fully got rid of them? Also I feed my tegus every 2 to 3 days and have noticed 3 of the 4 eating less currently mine are all a year to year and half and all currently 3 to little over 3 and half feet I have 4. 2 reds and 1 pure blue female 100%het and a blue ice 100%het male. My reds I know 1 for sure is a male still unsure bout the other red. Cant feel hemipiens when doing the tail feel but male 100% can feel his.
Nope I haven’t re-tested, he took deworming meds twice total and I assumed that would clear it all up? Would u recommend testing again

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I would be concerned about parasites again, unless you know he didn't get them from your current location somehow. If that's not an issue, I wouldn't worry if he's eating regularly, which it sounds like he is... Sorry you're not getting help - it's hard sometimes to capture every detail for everyone that comes along.

My first thought was heat. They really have to have an escape to around 70dg, and a basking spot of 100-110dg for sub-adults, and 110-120 for adults. Adults can even be higher. I don't think your humidity will be a prob if he has his cool spot. If your enclosure is too small to achieve that gradient (70dg cool to 115dg bask) then you might have to reconsider your tank size. If your tank is too small, you can't achieve those numbers. If he's too hot, he may be hiding more, eating less.

Joshua Wu

I would be concerned about parasites again, unless you know he didn't get them from your current location somehow. If that's not an issue, I wouldn't worry if he's eating regularly, which it sounds like he is... Sorry you're not getting help - it's hard sometimes to capture every detail for everyone that comes along.

My first thought was heat. They really have to have an escape to around 70dg, and a basking spot of 100-110dg for sub-adults, and 110-120 for adults. Adults can even be higher. I don't think your humidity will be a prob if he has his cool spot. If your enclosure is too small to achieve that gradient (70dg cool to 115dg bask) then you might have to reconsider your tank size. If your tank is too small, you can't achieve those numbers. If he's too hot, he may be hiding more, eating less.
Actually, these few weeks I’ve noticed stopped eating a lot, before he was eating once a day, now almost once a week. I’ll be taking him to the vet again soon. Fhanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam