• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu getting protective over other tegu?

Vestathetegu

I have a b&w tegu, who is roughly 2 years old. I got her when she was about a year old and I’ve had her over a year so I’m just assuming. She’s very obedient and I bond with her often so I’ve never had a problem getting close to her. Recently, I got a hatchling red tegu. Not sure of the gender, but I put them in the same enclosure and they got along immediately. Lately, everytime I touch my b&w, the hatchling charges are me. The hatchling doesn’t like to be touched yet, so I’m assuming it’s trying to protect my b&w. I have lately seen changes in my b&w. She doesn’t want to be touched as much, and she looks for the baby if I pick him up. It could be the weather change, but I was wondering if anyone knew about tegus bonding and being protective of one another, and why my b&w is all of a sudden being more distant from me

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not heard of that befoe but am open minded because tegus will bond in pairs. Re. the little one charging, could be she's small, new, and scared still.

Vestathetegu

It seems to only charge when I’m touching or petting the other one, and if I pick up the baby, my b&w starts looking for it in the enclosure. The baby was never wild and I notice he started picking up mannerisms from the lizards in the back yard (doing push up-like motions and flexing his throat?) I’ve never seen it before but who knows. I just don’t want my obedient one to start acting out because of the baby

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not heard of this before..... But my opinion would be to now think about housing them separate and working with them as individuals especially the little one as you don't want to end up with 2 grumpy adults.

Vestathetegu

Not heard of this before..... But my opinion would be to now think about housing them separate and working with them as individuals especially the little one as you don't want to end up with 2 grumpy adults.
That’s true, I’ll try that. I housed them together because I rebuilt a bigger enclosure outside (I live in Florida) and I was hoping the the older one could teach the younger one that humans are okay, but i guess it sort of backfired a little

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
maybe a little but don't that doesn't mean it will always be like that....... Build a little trust with the little one individually and try again.

Vestathetegu

maybe a little but don't that doesn't mean it will always be like that....... Build a little trust with the little one individually and try again.
Yeah, I am trying that. I am now remembering how long it took to get the first one to get comfortable with me, so I’ll just be patient with this little one now.

Bram040

Lol, one could almost think it jealous for attention haha,
my young half wild adopted steet cat does the same thing when im petting my old cat... but to see that in tegus... prob a different reason to his behavior please keep us informed, im realy curious how this plays out

Vestathetegu

Lol, one could almost think it jealous for attention haha,
my young half wild adopted steet cat does the same thing when im petting my old cat... but to see that in tegus... prob a different reason to his behavior please keep us informed, im realy curious how this plays out
I think my older b&w sees the baby as HER baby. She doesn’t mind if I touch him, but she often looks for him if I pick him up. I had to introduce a third today (I think a titan?) because she was given to my husband by someone who might have not known how to take care of her. Vesta immediately smelled her and wrapped herself around this new one too.

TripleTegus

I’ll try to keep posted on what happens. I spent time with them this morning and the little one was in a good mood, so fingers crossed
That's good to hear. Sounds like there's a lot going on too. It might just take some time for her to get adjusted to all the new changes going on, being the only one to now the third could be a little overwhelming.

Vestathetegu

That's good to hear. Sounds like there's a lot going on too. It might just take some time for her to get adjusted to all the new changes going on, being the only one to now the third could be a little overwhelming.
Yes I agree. If I pet one of the other tegus, I’ll always pet her and show her love too. I also pet her to show the others that she’s comfortable with me, and that has helped the others ease up a little more.

TripleTegus

Yes I agree. If I pet one of the other tegus, I’ll always pet her and show her love too. I also pet her to show the others that she’s comfortable with me, and that has helped the others ease up a little more.
That's awesome. It's just one of those things that takes time and patience. I'm sure eventually they'll be your big scaley puppy dogs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced