• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Food Question

Ken

Hello everyone, new to this forum and new to Tegus. Just got my first Tegu not to long ago and I want to make her some homemade food. I have a couple questions;
1 - Is deer sausage ok to use? (this wont be a staple I just have some left over that I am trying to get rid of)
2 - Is crushed up egg shells an adequate source of calcium?
3 - Based on what I have read, Tegus will eat just about anything and most foods are ok to use, but, are there any natural foods that you should NEVER ever feed under any circumstances?... I say "natural" because obviously I wont be feeding candy, bubble gum ect.
Thanks!

Guman

The food list on our website gives excellent advice. It is pinned to the top of the board.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi @Ken
1 deer should be ok but it's very lean so maybe add some fat somehow
2 a lot of Ca in eggshells isnt bioavailable. i'd still supplement with herptivite or similar
3 im not sure what raw foods might be naturally toxic to tegus. probably stay away from stuff on the birds list like cacao, avocado, etc

Guman

Hi @Ken
1 deer should be ok but it's very lean so maybe add some fat somehow
2 a lot of Ca in eggshells isnt bioavailable. i'd still supplement with herptivite or similar
3 im not sure what raw foods might be naturally toxic to tegus. probably stay away from stuff on the birds list like cacao, avocado, etc
I have heard that avocados are bad, but I think Rodney from Tegus Only feeds his Avocados??

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I've had no probs giving avocado, but I got mine from Rodney - TegusOnly! Someone cautioned me early on (Walter1) to not use the crushed eggshell, and to limit the raw egg - not every meal. So - I still give mine raw egg prob once a week, and just use the Herptivite Calcium. I only do the avocado occasionally.

I'd be putting fish oil with every meal - it's a good idea for their shed.

Also - the raw egg is pretty irresistible to them. Lots of people have success with that when they won't eat anything else.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine're from the mean agricultural fields of Florida City. A tegu-eat-tegu play for keeps world. Don't double-cross a yolk dealer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny