• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Eating Charcoal

Henry

My Argentine Black and White tegu has been eating charcoal recently. He use to eat clay hydro balls before I moved him to a new enclosure with a deeper substrate.Now hes eating the charcoal in the substrate. I know that he does this intentionally and I've been assuming that it helps him breakdown his food, but now that hes moved on to eating charcoal(which is more rigid than hydro balls) I'm concerned that it would do less good than harm. Can he digest the shards of charcoal he eats? Does anyone else experience this with their tegus?

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hard to say. Might sit in his stomache and grind food. Mightvbe needing some mineral. On the balance, I'd try to prevent this.

Tizzay89

Mine would eat pearlite. Ppl think they eat this stuff to aid in digestion as a fiber. Try introducing fiber to diet. I currently dice dandelion greens and mix in to food. Tegu has stopped eating pearlite.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dandelions are an excellent source of calcium. Make sure pesticide-free.

Henry

Thx everybody. I just incorporated a bunch of vegetables in his diet including mustard greens, parsley and green peas. I think he'll be good on fiber now yes?

Tizzay89

Thx everybody. I just incorporated a bunch of vegetables in his diet including mustard greens, parsley and green peas. I think he'll be good on fiber now yes?

Yeah if it will eat it. I tried peas my tegu just ate 1 and pooped it out pretty much whole. Not sure about parsley or mustard greens. Dunno if they can eat that so cant say. I like dandelion greens simply bcz they free and you can dice mix in egg and then follow up with a meat n cook it. Tegu loves it and solid poop. Also the fiber being the reason it is eating charcoal is just a theory. There may be something else missing from diet or simply the charcoal may smell. As Walter said

Henry

I'll also definitely get some dandelion in his diet. I had no idea it was a good source of calcium!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744