• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu at night

Bonsai

Hi I just got my tegu she’s a yearling that I bought last April 2018 in a NY reptile expo, and I’ve been doing what is advised on taming tegu in this forum, she’s still skittish but im able to put my hands near her with a tail whip, arch body and a hiss, I usually do it in the morning before I go to work for about 30 mins, I feel its not enough time and I want to interact with her more at night after getting home from work, but she’s already burrowed in a 3-4 inch of coco husk, is it ok to dug her up just to have time taming her?

Gary

Hi I just got my tegu she’s a yearling that I bought last April 2018 in a NY reptile expo, and I’ve been doing what is advised on taming tegu in this forum, she’s still skittish but im able to put my hands near her with a tail whip, arch body and a hiss, I usually do it in the morning before I go to work for about 30 mins, I feel its not enough time and I want to interact with her more at night after getting home from work, but she’s already burrowed in a 3-4 inch of coco husk, is it ok to dug her up just to have time taming her?

Yes! Without more handling time you won’t build the relationship you probably want. You’ve given enough time to settle in, so feel free to dig your tegu out for a few hours when you get home. It might be best to sit in a small space to start so your tegu is somewhat forced to investigate you and see you’re no threat.

Bonsai

Yes! Without more handling time you won’t build the relationship you probably want. You’ve given enough time to settle in, so feel free to dig your tegu out for a few hours when you get home. It might be best to sit in a small space to start so your tegu is somewhat forced to investigate you and see you’re no threat.
Thank you for the insight Gary, I was thinking if I disturbed her that I will break some trust, I will start spending some extra time at night, I was also contemplating on getting rid of the coco substate and replace it with some old worn clothes of mine so she could see me more be familair with my scent but I dont know if thats a good idea, I have a reptile humidifier as well so I’m not really that concern of humidity issues...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They otherwise sleep all night, and long periods of uninterrupted sleep is important, but waking him up for a while around the same time a few nights a week ought to be fine. Talk to him anytime you are nearby. He may begin coming out at the sound of your voice after work. Lastly, remember that they have moods and some nights might not want to hang out. My experience is that they'll mostly want to sleep under your shirt on your lao.

Gary

Thank you for the insight Gary, I was thinking if I disturbed her that I will break some trust, I will start spending some extra time at night, I was also contemplating on getting rid of the coco substate and replace it with some old worn clothes of mine so she could see me more be familair with my scent but I dont know if thats a good idea, I have a reptile humidifier as well so I’m not really that concern of humidity issues...

Burrowing is a very healthy behavior. I would keep the substrate so she can relax after you handle her. That will help her acclimate to being handled faster. Feel free to add a t-shirt in addition to the substrate, but to be honest I’ve always felt that adding a worn shirt is more for us than them. I can’t imagine it has that much of an impact.

Bonsai

Burrowing is a very healthy behavior. I would keep the substrate so she can relax after you handle her. That will help her acclimate to being handled faster. Feel free to add a t-shirt in addition to the substrate, but to be honest I’ve always felt that adding a worn shirt is more for us than them. I can’t imagine it has that much of an impact.
Thank you all for your advice, I did spend an hour with my tegu tonight and she was grumpy lol im gonno do this 2-3X per wk and im going to update you guys thank you and also during the wk ends I do water taming I just thought its worth mentioning :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam