• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

target trained tegu

G

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnFSQj-hT1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnFSQj-hT1k</a><!-- m -->

Sorry if this has been posted here before, I haven't seen it but there are tons and tons of posts. Pretty neat! What do you guys think?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think it's really cool to see the guy playing with his Tegu so much... but I do not see anything "trained" about the Tegu. It's responses are very natural and predictable...

When I took my Tegu to my parents for a visit he bit their dog's tennis ball many times. I didn't 'train' him to do it, he just did it...

So he holds an item in front of a Tegu that a Tegu would predictably bite...

Then he holds food next to the Tegu and clicks a clicker... and the Tegu eats...

I can randomly hand my Tegu a bite of food and 9 times out of 10 he will stop what he is doing and it eat. That's not being "trained", that's being a Tegu...

Cute video and nice Tegu... and I agree Arg Tegus are very smart and capable of learning... but I donâ??t think the Tegu in this video did anything other than what a Tegu would naturally do in this situation.

thomasjg23

Ha yeah, through the whole video I was waiting to see something other than him letting go of the tasteless scentless tennis ball for some real meat. He should of said that I predict that if I feed him like this every day then through time he wont associate anything other than the tennis ball with food. That tegu is not trained, it is training.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
now if he put the ball somewhere away from the tegu and the tegu went over to the ball and did grab it that would be target trained. Some zoos have done it with monitors and there is a blue toung skink that is target trained. I'm working with my caiman lizard to hopfully get him target trained scense he dose not appear to like to eat from a bowl right now.

Orion

5 Year Member
They have a Komodo Dragon at the National Zoo that is target trained. His name is Murphy and he weighs over 100 pounds. If he loses track of his food the handler that is doing the feeding takes the target ( Frisbee on a stick ) and holds it out in front of the prey outside the cage. The Dragon see the target and lunges for it and usually finds the FT rat quick.

I think it's really cool to see the guy playing with his Tegu so much... but I do not see anything "trained" about the Tegu. It's responses 3are very natural and predictable...

When I took my Tegu to my parents for a visit he bit their dog's tennis ball many times. I didn't 'train' him to do it, he just did it...

So he holds an item in front of a Tegu that a Tegu would predictably bite...

Then he holds food next to the Tegu and clicks a clicker... and the Tegu eats...

I can randomly hand my Tegu a bite of food and 9 times out of 10 he will stop what he is doing and it eat. That's not being "trained", that's being a Tegu...

Cute video and nice Tegu... and I agree Arg Tegus are very smart and capable of learning... but I donâ??t think the Tegu in this video did anything other than what a Tegu would naturally do in this situation.
now if he put the ball somewhere away from the tegu and the tegu went over to the ball and did grab it that would be target trained. Some zoos have done it with monitors and there is a blue toung skink that is target trained. I'm working with my caiman lizard to hopfully get him target trained scense he dose not appear to like to eat from a bowl right now.
I can put a liquid on anything and a Tegu will bite it. Put that liquid on your hand anything you pick up the tegu will bite it.
It is true you cannot train or remap 50 million years of evolution! I use the word train because it resonates well with the younger pet owners. The power of suggestion with a tegu is great if you ignore him he will come to you out of curiosity.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602