• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taming the Tegu progress...and Thanks!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
To everyone that's helped me....I just wanted you all to know that today and 2 days ago I was able to hold Skully. Nothing is more exciting is it? She was considering a move toward me which she's done before with no result, but in the end I thought (4 months waiting) I better pick her up because I don't usually get this much invitation. The first time she threw a fit for about 8-10 secs and scratched me with those nails of hers. Bleeding all over - I just held on to let her know she doesn't get to win this one. I got her to go to sleep by scratching her neck and jowls - she calmed way down. Gave her food afterward. I'm sure her Dad is actually a Crocodile. She is so strong, whipping that tail and clawing at me. Just today - she was mashing herself up against the glass again, so I opened up and I got a hold of her again. This time, not so much fight. No blood - Lol. I love holding her. Thanks to all who helped with such good info.....I'm glad I didn't give up! It was worth it.

@Walter1....would you be able to explain how you contain your Tegus during the summer? I know you told me you let them go outside. Do you have a separate pen for them?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ahh, my tegus live in a 15 X 5' by 10' high porch. Cement bottom, 3/4" hardware cloth. The four are adults and have two hides with moist sphagnum and peat moss inside.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know what you mean about the crocodile link....lol.... I was so shocked myself with the pure strength and power of Alpha as he grew...:D

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No fighting or social dominating. Nearly always, Oscar, my older male comes out to bask first. Within an hour, it's dragon dog city soaking up the rays.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
@Walter1 - Is there a rule to introduce new Tegus? Do they just have to be the same size? Not young? Males with other males? Sorry - I should just look this up but I don't know anyone that is actually doing what you're doing. Did you get yours all at the same time from Rodney?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Got a young adult male and female from Rodney at once.

Six months or so later got a young adult female from Rodney.

1+ year after that got a young 10 mo. old male from Rodney.

Added each as they arrived.

They pigpile in hides.

Perhaps, some individuals will not get along. On the balance, I thing Argies, given acceptable room, will cohabitate. Provide acceptable room and more than one hide.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Got a young adult male and female from Rodney at once.

Six months or so later got a young adult female from Rodney.

1+ year after that got a young 10 mo. old male from Rodney.

Added each as they arrived.

They pigpile in hides.

Perhaps, some individuals will not get along. On the balance, I thing Argies, given acceptable room, will cohabitate. Provide acceptable room and more than one hide.

Wow - I didn't see that coming!! I might have to give Rodney a call. Maybe Skully would be happier with a friend. Oh - - - do they mate? I didn't think Rodney would know what sex they are - or didn't you know?

Also - have all of yours been easier to deal with than Skully?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tame within days. Mate but no eggs.

Mine were easy to sex as they were just maturing.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Tame within days. Mate but no eggs.

Mine were easy to sex as they were just maturing.

Thank you so much.... good info for me! You think they like having buddies? I mean, in general...or does it matter? When you say no eggs - is there a reason that you're not getting those? They seem to be prolific.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're very welcome. In the wild, they pack in winter burrows. At Rodney's, most are kept in big groups typically piling under boards, etc. No signs of fighting.

Not sure why no eggs. Studying on it.

I think it's natural for them to be around one another. If alone and given attention, that works, too.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
You're very welcome. In the wild, they pack in winter burrows. At Rodney's, most are kept in big groups typically piling under boards, etc. No signs of fighting.

Not sure why no eggs. Studying on it.

I think it's natural for them to be around one another. If alone and given attention, that works, too.

Thanks again. Egg situation is interesting. Btw - Skully still wants to get rid of me, and is only surrendering to me picking her up so she can do her best to get away. I'm laughing a lot more at it now though. Yesterday she fell asleep on my arm for almost an hour (especially after I held her head up for her - geez). I would have held her longer, but I got a cramp - she's 36", and weighs almost 6 lbs. I'm still really scared to let her down. I think she'd bolt. I did put her in the bathroom and in the tub for a bath a couple weeks ago. Problem was, she wouldn't let me pick her back up again! She was in there for hours! She tried to bite me twice that day. I got lucky - she couldn't reach my arm. I would love to have one that I can go pick up all the time.
Do you think she's considered an adult now at that size?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
36" feemale is adult. Why she bites is odd.

They naturally don't want to be lifted from above. Too much like a hawk! Lift up from belly. Baby steps with height. Firrst on lap on ground. Can practice in a blocked-off hall. Put worn sweaty shirt in her hide. Talk to her. No need to touch her everytime your hands are in her enclosure.

If she bites, yell NO! I respect the differing opinions of other members on this and maintain that a squirt bottle with cold water along with a NO can be helpful. They're smart and get the idea.

Where's yours from?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
36" feemale is adult. Why she bites is odd.

They naturally don't want to be lifted from above. Too much like a hawk! Lift up from belly. Baby steps with height. Firrst on lap on ground. Can practice in a blocked-off hall. Put worn sweaty shirt in her hide. Talk to her. No need to touch her everytime your hands are in her enclosure.

If she bites, yell NO! I respect the differing opinions of other members on this and maintain that a squirt bottle with cold water along with a NO can be helpful. They're smart and get the idea.

Where's yours from?

She is from Rodney in Florida - Tegus Only (that's why I ask you so much... :rolleyes:)
She has tried to scare me off since April 12 when she arrived. She still hisses to let me know that now is not the time to come out and have fun. In general, her trust is very low still after 5 months. I've done the tshirt thing in her hide - I could keep that going.

I do lift her from underneath, and now, I bring her out head first. That helped. I also have to hold her tail at the top so I can get her under my arm because she starts flailing soon after I have a hold on her. So what it means though is that she has to be in a perfect position or she starts to consider biting, running away, or bumping herself up and down as if to say "get off me!". I have started tapping her on her lower back when she does the last thing because I have high hopes that she'll see it brings a reaction counter to what she's expecting. I love the squirt bottle idea, I'm just wondering how I can manage it while she's in full crocodile mode? It takes everything I have just to hold on to her. Her habit now is to let me pick her up, but within 5 secs or less, she starts the mad croc act. I squeeze her close to me, and just hold on! It's the wild west in my house. Slow improvements have been made but wow - it seems like most people don't go through this. i really wonder if a buddie would help. Expensive thing to have backfire on you.

I lucked out when she tried to bite me after treating her to a bathroom escape. I would have been bit if I hadn't been careful and had her tail and other hand under her. She just couldn't reach me. I tried gloves too - she runs away from me when I have them on.

Big reply here - thanks for taking the time for me and interest. My reptile shop is about 40% believable. Maybe our Argies are related!!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm stumped. Some are stand-offish, which is fine. Being that defensive is unusual. Definitely keep her well fed. Hang out near her enclosure and talk. Give her time.

Something has her scared.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'm stumped. Some are stand-offish, which is fine. Being that defensive is unusual. Definitely keep her well fed. Hang out near her enclosure and talk. Give her time.

Something has her scared.

Thanks....I think she's well fed. She gets thawed mice every week, an egg about 3 times a week, and ground turkey with chicken gizzards. She eats until she walks away - so that would be well fed right? Every other day? I do have a differing opinion from others that I've read about "when" to pick her up. I've decided to feed her "after" she allows me to pick her up. Others say don't do that, make sure she's fed before picking her up. But, it seems like the only way right now that I'll get to hold her to show her she's safe. Then I feed her after she's allowed me to do that. Wouldn't that be better for training her? Do you see what I mean?

Stand-offish is the word. She's been this way since day one. Do you have dogs that come around your Tegus? Mine ignore her now, but I just don't know what's got her so spooked. I know Rodney always claims that his Tegus aren't wild.....she might be the exception to the rule. Thanks again....can't say that enough.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good, she's well-fed. She could snap out of food aggression. Might consider feeding first, then hold. They're smart and will quickly learn what's OK and what's not.

Mine learned quickly that our two dogs occasionally sniffing at the enclosure outside are no threat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744