• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taking a new job with extensive travel

Brian Ackerman

Just wanted to get some opinions on how this may or may not affect my buddy. He is a full grown male Argentinian Black & White.

I keep him in an 8x4x4 enclosure with plenty of mulch and hides. I have a couple of humidifiers rigged to it that can last 2-3 days on low and leave a couple bowls of water. I am open to leaving the enclosure open for free roam while I am away. His lights are on an automatic timer.

The job I am taking will entail me being away from home for a week at a time every other week. I have left him on his own in the past for a week at a time a couple of instances and a weekend or so several times. He has always been fine.

Any opinions of doing the full week away every other week? His lights are on automatic. Humidifiers will keep him at ideal humidity for almost half of the time. I can feed him well before and after the trip. I don’t mind leaving the enclosure open for him to do his business in his preferred areas.

I know feeding an adult every 3 days is preferred, but I imagine they have it far worse in the wild compared with a large guaranteed meal every weekend and another meal or two every other week during the week.

Should I anticipate any long term issues? I’m moving to a new area and won’t know anyone. If need be, I can hire someone to feed him and top off his humidifier mid week. But I’d prefer not to put that kind of trust in a stranger. Any ideas for automation for humidifier or feeding?

I’m new in owning a Tegu but more experience in Savanna Monitor. They’re my family if my job effects relationship with four legged family I don’t take the job. If it’s working for both of you by all mean do what u doing. This kind of animal required more attention unlike dog or cat.

Zyn

I think you could make it work if you we’re able to find someone you trust to at the minimum to check water and drop a thawed rat in, at some point a few
days after you leave.

Guman

I would have at least one mid-week visit from someone. Might even try a dog walking company to see if they would be up to help. With lights, water, and all the extra that goes into our guys I think it adds better care.

Brian Ackerman

Lights are no problem with a timer. Water should be well covered with multiple bowls in different locations. Humidity is another matter, though. Food is my biggest concern. I’ll probably have to find someone I can trust to stop in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam