1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Tail shedding tips?

Discussion in 'Black and White Tegu Discussion' started by evan k, Jul 22, 2018.

1. evan k

evan k Member

Hi. I just want to ask. Is it normal if a tegu that is 4 years old shed seldomly, like only for every 2 months? I sometime ls get worried since the tail always take some time to shed..last time it took nearly 3 months for the tail to shed completely. I always getting worried that the old skin will constrict the tail and eventually the tail will have to be amputated. What should i do so that the shedding process dont take a lot of time? I usually take him to shower once or twice a week and use warm waters with shampoo once a month. Thanks
  2. Gary

Gary Member

A humid hide will do more than any number of showers can. Sleeping in substrate that holds moisture for up to 12 hours a day is not something even daily baths can replicate.

Tails normally take longer to shed. So long as there aren’t multiple body sheds before the tail sheds, I wouldn’t worry.
    Zyn and Walter1 like this.
  3. evan k

evan k Member

Really sorry for my late reply. My account is kinda crashed recently. Usually the feet and the body already shed twice before the tail start to peel. Thats why i kinda worry and it's been 2 years since the shedding process turn like this. But my whole environment havent change at all since the first time i kept it. So should i start giving him some kinda of lotion and adding substrate to his favorite place? I let my tegu roam freely at an open space which is pretty large i think (like 13m x 7m)
  4. Gary

Gary Member

Sounds like a humidity issue for sure. Give him a hide with peat moss or eco earth. Rub some coconut oil on his tail to loosen the stuck shed.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. Julieonna

Julieonna New Member

When Logan sheds slow, I give him a bath with coconut oil. It really helps!! But his tail takes longer as well.