• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tail kink! Need advice Please.

Maxwell Green

Hey so I posted in chacoan tab but haven't had any luck the thought this is probably more a general topic. My tegu Zeus has been growing like crazy here this spring but I started to notice this weird kink in the tip of his tail. Paranoid it might be something to be concerned about. Checked the moisture in the coconut and checked the humidity which is kept at 70% in tank. Also he has no reaction to it being touched at all, though it's definitely stiffer than rest of tail. Also he's around 9 months old I believe, store wasn't 100% on birth date. I phoned our local vet (small town) and she looked into some stuff and thought it might just be due to rapid growth. He's been growing 2" in length every week for this last month. I keep on the calcium 4 days a week and vitamins 3 days plus his food is a assortment of whole prey, Eggs, Fish, poultry, Some berries, insects, And cod oil mixed into various meals. He is also spending a 1hr outside in the sun since its nicer out now. It has slowly curled up over the last month also its only the last 1 1/4" of tail. He is 34" currently.

Here are some photos.
img_20190501_090956-jpg.13608
img_20190417_173018-jpg.13609

Maxwell Green

Hey thanks I was debating the birth defect. As far as I'm aware he's never had his tail in a door lol. I'm the only one who does stuff with him. The curl from the kink has been getting tighter lol its still just the 2 kinks in the past inch. but it definitely is reaching to the sky. If it is a break from it getting hit is there anything I should do?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If worsens, call vet. If breaks, neosporin and watch.

James Smith

If that is a Chacoan and it is 9 months he is a little on the small side but good looking. My BOGA is 9 months and he is a pure Blue and he also had a growth jump this spring. However Blues are the smaller of all Tegus lines, well as long as they aren't hybrids.
20190325_105814.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If that is a Chacoan and it is 9 months he is a little on the small side but good looking. My BOGA is 9 months and he is a pure Blue and he also had a growth jump this spring. However Blues are the smaller of all Tegus lines, well as long as they aren't hybrids.View attachment 13628
James, You got a corn-fed hoss right there. Picture of health.

James Smith

Thank you Walter1. I haven't had no other pet that I paid more attention to. I love this guy so much. He is truly my best friend.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam