• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tag Your Reptile Day

Kmartin

Tag Your Reptile Day!​

A tegu is held by a biologist in front of an FWC logo

Tagging or microchipping your pet is one if the simplest and most effective ways to keep them safe and also protect Florida’s native wildlife.
The FWC is partnering with zoos and veterinarians across the state to assist owners of tegus and green iguanas by offering free Tag Your Reptile Day events at multiple locations. Owners may bring up to 5 pet tegus or green iguanas to any of the single-day events listed below. Pets must be in a secured carrier, wearing a leash or harness to prevent escape. Veterinary staff will microchip these animals while you wait. FWC staff will provide information to complete the permit application process. Thanks to the Fish and Wildlife Foundation of Florida and other partners hosting events, this service is free to any pet owners who have these species as pets!
Background: FWC Commissioners approved rule changes to Chapter 68-5, F.A.C. on February 25, 2021. The new rules are effective April 29, 2021. Pet owners of tegus and green iguanas will have 90 days from this date to apply for a no-cost permit and mark their pets with a Passive Integrated Transponder (PIT) tag, also known as a microchip. The 90-day grace period ends July 28, 2021 and by that time all pet green iguanas and tegus must be permanently marked.

Iguana in grass

Schedule of Tag Your Reptile Day Events​

May 22 Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park
June 5 Brevard Zoo
June 12 UF College of Veterinary Medicine
June 19 Zoo Tampa
June 26 South Florida Science Center and Aquarium
July 11 Lee County Domestic Animal Services
Please note July 11 is a Sunday event, all other events are scheduled for Saturdays.
All locations will have PIT tagging services available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. No appointments are required. PIT tags are available on a first-come, first-serve basis while supplies last.

What is a PIT tag?
A Passive Integrated Transponder (PIT) is a very small microchip 8.4 mm in length and 1.4 mm in diameter, inserted under the skin of an animal. Many pet dogs and cats are microchipped for proper identification in case they are lost. When scanned by a PIT tag reader, the number from the internal tag is visible, allowing for proper identification of the pet and owner.
Why do I need a PIT tag?
Tegus and green iguanas are now regulated as Prohibited under the new rule changes, and require any tegu or green iguana currently possessed as a personal pet to be permanently marked with a PIT tag. These small microchips allow for proper identification of the pet and owner. Owners have until July 28th, 2021 to obtain a free permit and mark their pet tegus or green iguanas with a PIT tag. The FWC will assist owners by offering free Tag Your Reptile Day events across the state.

How do I get my free PIT tag?
Owners in possession of pet tegus and green iguanas prior to April 29, 2021 are eligible to receive a free PIT tag for their animals. Owners have until July 28th, 2021 to get their pets PIT tagged in order to come into compliance with these new rules. To obtain free PIT tagging services for your pet tegu or green iguana, you can visit one of the Tag Your Reptile Day events offered near you. Bring up to 5 pet tegus or green iguanas to the event properly secured in a carrier and wearing a leash or harness to prevent escape. Veterinary staff will perform the PIT tag procedure same day. No appointments are needed and no drop-offs allowed. All tegus and green iguanas will be seen on a walk-in basis. There is no fee for the PIT tag. FWC staff will also provide guidance to pet owners on how to apply for the free permit required to possess these species as pets for the remainder of their lives.
Can I get a PIT tag from my regular vet?
Yes. Owners of pet tegus and green iguanas may take their pets to a veterinarian of their choice for a PIT tag. Owners should expect to make a regular appointment and pay all costs for this service. The FWC does not provide local vets with free PIT tags to use. Free PIT tagging services will only be available at the Tag Your Reptile Day.
What happens if I fail to get a PIT tag?
Owners of pet tegus and green iguanas will have until July 28th, 2021 to come into compliance with the new rules for these species.
The FWC can help find a home for exotic pets that people can no longer care for through the Exotic Pet Amnesty Program. Animals can be surrendered to the FWC’s program throughout the year by calling our Exotic Species Hotline (1-888-Ive-Got1 or 1-888-483-4681) or by emailing [email protected]. Animals may be surrendered with no cost or penalty for the owner. Surrendered animals are placed with pre-approved adopters. Note: Animals will not be accepted for surrender at Tag Your Reptile Day events. Please contact the Exotic Pet Amnesty Program to arrange an adoption if you can no longer keep your exotic pet.
If an individual is in possession of a Prohibited species after July 28th, 2021 and has not obtained a permit and a PIT tag for the Prohibited species in question, the individual will be in violation of the new rule.

How many pets can I bring to the free Tag Your Reptile Day?
Owners in possession of pet tegus or green iguanas prior to April 29th, 2021 are eligible to receive a free PIT tag for up to 5 animals. PIT tags are only for tegus and green iguanas, no other species will be PIT tagged at these events.

I got my tegu tagged today at this event. I went to register his chip number.... there's only an option for cat or dog! Notice it's a required field! I tried to put it in as the breed and it wouldn't let me. This is ridiculous.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210522-165341_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210522-165341_Samsung Internet.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 7

Retnoo

Okay so I have to get my Tegu tagged. It's still a Juvenile, and not at all tamed. Just got him a while back. It is going to be extremely difficult getting a leash or collar on him in this state, and I'm worried the whole experience will badly damage his trust. any recommendations of how to go about this experience safely? I'm worried he'll struggle too much and lose his tail or something.

Attachments

• ghost.jpg
    ghost.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 4

Kmartin

I watched a video on chipping tegu. It didn't seem to traumatic. Most if them didn't seem to mind. They dropped a towel over the face and inserted the chip in the base if the tail. Only 1 fought them and they wrapped her in a towel and pinned the shoulders and hips before inserting the needle. It only took a few seconds and she seemed more pissed off at the towel than the guys doing it. I swear it seemed on the video the owners were more upset at the chipping than the tegus were. That is going to be me. And I work at a vets office. We microchip puppies and kittens routinely. Big needle but treats and cuddles seem to work just fine. Half don't realize that you've done something until it's over. I will admit that it's better not to do it in front of the new parents.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam