• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sumatran water monitor

i am getting a new lizard tomorrow and i really like this 8 inch water monitor would it be good in a 30 gallon tank till i build it a 8 foot cage ps i usually give my reptiles there adult cages when there babies

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aquariums don't generally work for monitors because they don't hold heat and humidity well. It is very difficult to get a proper temp gradient as well bring they require a 130+ degree hot spot. They don't hold enough substrate to allow them to burrow and feel secure.

I would recommend starting with at least a 4*2*2 sealed, fairly air tight enclosure.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
go for one of those really big storage tubs, just cut a hole in the top for the light.theres other thing you cold do but that would be the cheapest i guess lol.

Reptile_fever

Your best chance as said is ti build your own enclosure!! I would never get a water monitor they get huge & are tapped!!They need high humidity,deep substrate,high basking spot.I hope you know what your getting yourself into!!Yes the larger monitors are all cheap to purchase but as the get bigger so does the food bill!! How about Ackies the varanus acanthuras there very hardy stay relativly small!! All the attitude & fun of the bigger ones compacted into a mini size!! There fun to watch & rewarding to keep!! Just my two cents!! Good luck!!

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do your research before getting one of these. They're quite the reptile to care for and have very critical needs. Where are you getting it from? And it won't do well at all in a 30 gallon let alone any sort of aquarium as previously stated.

larissalurid

As everyone already stated, a tank isn't what you want to keep him in and besides the cheap price you need to think about all the other things, like cost of lighting, large enclosure, what you'll need inside that, large food bills, etc. The space they will need full grown will be about 12x6 foot floor area at least, if not larger. Plus they aren't just like having a skink or a gecko or bearded dragon. They require a lot of taming and he will be around 9 feet long full grown. I agree with "reptile fever", go for a Varanus Acanthurus, they are adorable, same type of look and all, just more practical to keep as a pet.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Man I only recommend water monitors to those who have been in the hobby for a long time, have had large lizards before and own their own place. These will need a room once full grown. Their food bill is much higher than a tegu, they have a fast metabolic so they need feeding constantly. 6x12 is alright for a female but a male should have the equivalent of a bed room.

As hatchlings they do much better in a front opening not transparent cage, ie not a tank. Otherwise they tend to get really skittish and run into the sides of the tank.

If you have done the resurch and know what you are getting into then go for it, but for go the aquarium. Just know that in three years you could have a 9 foot 60lb literal dragon on your hands.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced