• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Substrate Problem

DucLuu

Hi, My name is Duc and I'm new to tegus. I just received a baby Black & White and noticed some little yellow balls in my top soil. I'm using Scott's Top Soil and some play sand mix. On the bag it didn't say anything about fertilizer or pesticides but it did say all organic. There's not a lot of these balls, I picked most of it out already, but there could possibly be a little more in the soil. Now I'm worried. Should I vacuum all this soil up and put new substrate? Or should my tegu be ok? Would be a pain to have to remove all this soil.

i would suggest removing all of it. i use a mix of eco earth and jungle mix. my b&w seems to love it. and has no stuck sheds. it also helps with the humidity. i live in new hampshire and for a little while had an issue keeping the humidity up. until i use this mixture. i use 4 solid bricks of eco earth and 1 8 quart bag of loose jungle mix. she loves to burrow in it. she has tunnels everywhere. sometimes i cant even find her

DucLuu

Thank You for your reply. Im going to remove all of it just to be safe. Going to be a pain getting 4 inches of soil out of the tank :(

DucLuu

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. Since i have extra play sand, I'm probably going to mix eco earth with the sand.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It sounds like those little balls they use to hold moisture in the soil. I don't know if they are harmful or not.

Egg is OK in moderation, but tegus can get 'stuck' on it.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam