• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Strange sharp bump

Martin

i have recently got a young argentine black and white. (about a month ago) according to the shop it’s a minimum of 4 months old however was eating well and looked healthy hence me giving it the go ahead in the first place. I got home and settled it into the new enclosure. 5ftx5ftx2.5ft. 12 Arcadia luminaire t5 kit 150w ceramic heating kit and a 75w par38 halogen bulb both hooked onto a eco stat so the par38 is the primary heat source and the ceramic engage when extra heat is needed. I get the hot side at 32c and the cool end at 28c and providing 2 basking spots one at 118 and one at 105 of which he thermometer regulates between the two over the day. On the day he arrived home he or she I might add ate a few locust and had excellent feeding response, before returning the the enclosure. Unfortunately after this it’s been a slippery slope and in addition the them 3 locust she’s eaten 1 pinky and a snail almost 2 weeks apart and a lick of a raw quail egg yesterday before these pictures where taken. I have noticed a sharp little lump just above the tail base. I have been to the vets and they said she’s active healthy and extremely friendly. I am now confused as to what to do as in all my years of owning tegus and reptiles I’ve never came across this. Ps humity is around 80 under the substrate and 65-75 in the air and she’s literally just had a perfect shed. Any advice or criticism welcome.

Attachments

• F507B6B5-7194-4437-85E8-0BA554F58790.jpeg
    F507B6B5-7194-4437-85E8-0BA554F58790.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 52
  • E43E71BF-9E81-452E-9795-A0104A486B2E.jpeg
    E43E71BF-9E81-452E-9795-A0104A486B2E.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 081DF949-BD2F-4AC9-BFED-973595D5507F.jpeg
    081DF949-BD2F-4AC9-BFED-973595D5507F.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 51

Martin

It's in the first picture about an inch up from where the tail starts. Just can't get a good response on anything and if I leave it in the viv through the day or night it doesn't get touched. I might add the viv is in a very low traffic area (my reptile room) so gets plenty of time to investigate when no ones around. Everything about it screams brumation/hibernation to me but it's far too early. Extremely confused

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is your enclosure light's daylength? Aim for 110-115 bask site. New acquisitions take a while to settle in, often eatong well for first day or so then realizing it's all new and mostly disappear for 1-2 weeks.

Rogsem

Hi Martin
I’m a long way from being experienced but can highlight from my own experience, I brought my tegu home and he (for arguments sake) refused to eat for weeks till I got to the stage of force feeding him with raw egg in a pipette, pinky’s etc. Trip to the vet, blood samples etc revealed nothing. I brought home a second tegu and it was like a switch. He immediately ate 3 locusts and has been stuffing himself ever since. He has literally doubled in size in the space of a few weeks. To add to that I’m now in the same position with the second tegu in that I rarely see it, have to hunt for it in the bark and haven’t actually seen it eat. Whilst the second tegu may have triggered the first to start feeding, really think it just took a lot of time for it to settle in. Think it was nearly 2 months if not a little longer before it started. I wouldn’t worry too much for a while yet, and if concerned using a pippette, whisk up maybe some raw egg with a little turkey mince with a little calcium powder and position next to your tegus mouth and it will likely lap at it like a dog taking a few mls each time which at least means it is getting something. Hope this helps.

Martin

Thank you rogsem one thing I’m always learning with herpetology is that I’m always learning and never experienced enough.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Good attitude! I just wanted to chime in, I saw a bump on my baby (2 months) blue Tegu, and she died within a month. I trusted the stupid Reptile store, and was new to everything at the time. I believe she had Metabolic Bone Disease. Broke my heart

That said, I don't see any bump at all on your pic. The one on my blue was a swelling that raised up - no mistaking it - between the back legs right on it's back. It was raised at least 1/2" high, and prob had a diameter of about the same...1/2 inch - maybe more.

If the vet says she's fine, that's great, but if the bump starts growing, don't let it go too long. My little blue ate and acted healthy right up until the day before it died. She was a $500 animal, and while that's hard to swallow, I would have given it again to have saved her. Super cool disposition. Good luck!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wayneboy88