• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Still not eating

evan k

5 Year Member
Hi. I just want to ask again for help. My tegu hasn't eat anything for a week. The last food she has eaten since a week ago are two mices. For the last 3 months she wont eat anything beside mice that i give her every once a week. I tried to starve her so she will accept another food. Two days ago i offered her a boiled egg but she refuse it. Today i tried a mash papaya with scrambled egg but she wont accept it again. Should i offer the same food tomorrow or i have to give up and give her mice again? Thanks and sorry for my bad english

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
try giving a mouse that has being put in a bowl with some kind of bloody organ meat Or soft boiled egg .... Hopefully she will still eat the mouse but get a taste for the other things that are there too as the mouse will have the scent and be covered in some form of what you mixed it with.

Zyn

What are your temps is she basking and pooping. Maybe she just likes whole prey nothing wrong with that. Have you tried sardines that’s been canned in water, wet high quality canned dog food like zygnature. A nice bloody combo of beef liver and ground turkey.

evan k

5 Year Member
What are your temps is she basking and pooping. Maybe she just likes whole prey nothing wrong with that. Have you tried sardines that’s been canned in water, wet high quality canned dog food like zygnature. A nice bloody combo of beef liver and ground turkey.
I live in equatorial region so as far as i know the air temperature is around 28-30 c degree. It is been almost 3 years since i let her cage free in my house.

Sometimes she is basking at morning or at the noon, but like only just for 5 minutes or so. After basking she usually go to her favorite plafe which is under my rack which is kinda dark and damp. I guess she feel cool there and kinda similar to underground condition which adult tegu fond to

I usually take him to bath once or twice a week. She usually poop two or three times a week. And if you say there is nothing wrong with feeding just a live prey, i guess it is okay then since i am not giving mices to her very oftenly.. i always dust them with vitamin and calcium so maybe it is okay?

evan k

5 Year Member
try giving a mouse that has being put in a bowl with some kind of bloody organ meat Or soft boiled egg .... Hopefully she will still eat the mouse but get a taste for the other things that are there too as the mouse will have the scent and be covered in some form of what you mixed it with.
Well thanks again for all of your suggestion! Might give it a shot with some kind of internal organs..

evan k

5 Year Member
Oh yeah and about sardines she usually accept it. But now she wont anymore. And she usually like to eat dog food that is in pellet form

battyrubble

5 Year Member
Hi. I just want to ask again for help. My tegu hasn't eat anything for a week. The last food she has eaten since a week ago are two mices. For the last 3 months she wont eat anything beside mice that i give her every once a week. I tried to starve her so she will accept another food. Two days ago i offered her a boiled egg but she refuse it. Today i tried a mash papaya with scrambled egg but she wont accept it again. Should i offer the same food tomorrow or i have to give up and give her mice again? Thanks and sorry for my bad english

we went through the same thing, 3 months only water, took him to the vet 300$, the next day he started eating. As long as they are drinking water and pooping you should be fine, if there is no poop for a week he might be clogged and that could be very dangerous, then I would go to the vet, or at least call and ask

evan k

5 Year Member
we went through the same thing, 3 months only water, took him to the vet 300$, the next day he started eating. As long as they are drinking water and pooping you should be fine, if there is no poop for a week he might be clogged and that could be very dangerous, then I would go to the vet, or at least call and ask
Wow. Never thought tegu are so hardy. Mine always poop twice a week a least and drinks everyday. So i guess it is okay then..

battyrubble

5 Year Member
Wow. Never thought tegu are so hardy. Mine always poop twice a week a least and drinks everyday. So i guess it is okay then..
as long as they are pooping and drinking water they are fine, mine used to start eating after the poop was almost nothing just pee (yellow-white) maybe its their way of cleaning their system?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
as long as they are pooping and drinking water they are fine, mine used to start eating after the poop was almost nothing just pee (yellow-white) maybe its their way of cleaning their system?
Age, diet type, quantity, and season may have something to do with turn around time.

Trede

Even when she's active all the time, Talia doesn't eat much. She's always got water available, and pees every day or two, but she only eats maybe three days a week (usual meal size is 2-3 25g reptilinks or 2-3 baby quail/chickens/adult mice) and poops every week or two. I used to worry, but after a few years of the same behaviour, multiple vet visits with bloodwork, stool samples, etc all coming up 100% ok...I just accept that she's weird...healthy and weird.

evan k

5 Year Member
Even when she's active all the time, Talia doesn't eat much. She's always got water available, and pees every day or two, but she only eats maybe three days a week (usual meal size is 2-3 25g reptilinks or 2-3 baby quail/chickens/adult mice) and poops every week or two. I used to worry, but after a few years of the same behaviour, multiple vet visits with bloodwork, stool samples, etc all coming up 100% ok...I just accept that she's weird...healthy and weird.
Well, since most of you guys suggest it is fine since my tegu is still alive and kinda fat and pretty active too (i dunno if she is counted as active since her daily routinity are waking up at 10 or 11 a.m then go basking at the high noon for 15 minutes, and then walking around to my kitchen or some kind of garden which is pretty spacious i think (13mx7m or so) and then sitting all day benath a shelf which is kinda dark and cold, then go sleep again until the next day if she is not eating), i think i will take her to vet and check her once again for this year..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam