• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Still in brumation?

Kyle Sene

i just bought my first argentine friday and so far all he dies is eat and sleep i took it as he was dtill trying to aclimate himself them yesterday i took him out to try and tame and all he did was go to a corner and sleep is it possible hes still brumating

Skeep

5 Year Member
Congrats on the gu! If you just got him on Friday, I'm surprised you're already able to take him out and he is comfortable enough to sleep in the open. How old is he, and is he used to being handled already?

Tegus do like to sleep a lot! I would check if your cage temperatures are high enough; that is usually the biggest factor in activity level. If he's eating well I doubt he's still brumating.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats. Sounds like settling in. Typical behavior.

After settling in expect them to hide much more than be out.

Kyle Sene

Congrats on the gu! If you just got him on Friday, I'm surprised you're already able to take him out and he is comfortable enough to sleep in the open. How old is he, and is he used to being handled already?

Tegus do like to sleep a lot! I would check if your cage temperatures are high enough; that is usually the biggest factor in activity level. If he's eating well I doubt he's still brumating.
Right now the hot sides 90 and the basking 100 i dont know his age but i know hes still a juvenile i got him froom a breeder who also sells wild caughts i doubt hes used to it tbh

Zyn

No they aren’t nearly as active as say monitors. They eat and sleep and that’s that lol. Don’t get me wrong they are active when they feel like it but not on the level of most monitor species.

This could be wrong but I look at it like this. Let’s say a dog “monitor” wants to move around go everywhere dig in everything. Where as the cat “tegu” is happy to conserve energy, and lay about enjoying the comforts of a bully belly.

Last edited:

Kyle Sene

Finally taming down got him to crawl up my arm to come out after a week my columbia hasnt even done that and i had him for a month even tho i took different approaches

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam